Up for some exploration this weekend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rampart range
...is just a graded road (well sorta, there's a LOT of washboard sections) that is great to connect to all the smaller Forestry roads.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=154 Dakan Road andhttp://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=152 Long hollow
...these two connect Rampart Range with Hwy 15 by Castle Rock. Long Hollow is the more interesting of the two with a some times deep creek crossing at one end (I had water come over my hood once).

Winding stairs (this one looks cool)
...I'm pretty sure that this one is actually closed. There was a recent discussion about this trail at www.colorado4x4.org (it appears to be down right now). The last time that I looked at the connecting intersection at the top of the trail, it looked like the Forestry had removed signed and tried to block the trail. I

I wouldn't mind checking out the start of the trail from the Rampart side to see what's going on.

oops, we did a night run up there this summer.
why can't you run Dakan at night? you can camp up there.
Yeah, I didn't notice the sign saying no night travel until I was driving back down Dakan in the dark. I'm not sure way the signs are up. It could be an agreement between the motorcycle group and the Forestry since most dirt bikes don't have lights.

i'll see whats up, i probably could'nt get that way till 1pm or so.
i should probably work and get some things done (i'm a bit behind right now)
Well, if you know how to get to Rampart Range Road, we could see about setting up some place to meet you. Do you have a CB?

What is your guys preferred type of communication? CB or FRS? My CB isn't hooked up, but I have a couple of FRS radios at my disposal.
The club normally uses CB radios. Well, at least if most people have them. I've been on a run or two where the leader's radio or mic was broken. So we did things the old fashioned way--stop the trucks, get out and talk face-to-face.

I suppose if we are going to set up a meeting place with 2badfjs, we should probably pick a CB channel here. Normally the club uses 4; however, with my radio I usually pick up all the other wheelers (and farmers) in the area.

Woodland park is fine with me for meeting up. Would we be hitting the trail up there or on the south end at garden of the gods?http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=153

Ooopsss! Just remembered that I forgot to answer this.

I was planning on hitting the trail about 10 miles north of Woodland Park. The area is called Rainbow Falls and is on the west side of Rampart Range. I am open to other ideas in the area and heading south.

Yeah, I didn't notice the sign saying no night travel until I was driving back down Dakan in the dark. I'm not sure way the signs are up. It could be an agreement between the motorcycle group and the Forestry since most dirt bikes don't have lights.

Well, if you know how to get to Rampart Range Road, we could see about setting up some place to meet you. Do you have a CB?

i'll have to try to dig up a map today and see whats up.
we usually go up jackson creek road outside of castle rock and drop in from there.
i'm kinda familiar where dakan and rampart range road meet up, but only know how to get there from dakan

lookin at a map, it looks like jackson creek road will take me right to r/r rd due west of larkspur.

let me know if i need to head south from there

yes i have a cb, not sure of the range it has.

i'll know more later if i'll go, gotta see what i can get done today.

Ooopsss! Just remembered that I forgot to answer this.

I was planning on hitting the trail about 10 miles north of Woodland Park. The area is called Rainbow Falls and is on the west side of Rampart Range. I am open to other ideas in the area and heading south.

Lets meet in woodland park at the normal meeting spot. I just talked to Trevor and we were kinda thinking 9am.

Why don't you give me a call at 612-269-6327 (haven't switched my cell to a local # yet) and we'll talk about it.

cool, don't eat, lets grab some grub at Mc Donalds on the way up.. 9:00 sounds good @ the Western, If your Late, we may be at the Mc Donalds till 9:30 or so

I can be at the Western by 9:00 a.m. without any problem.

normal_PNF_9-24_035.jpg

normal_PNF_9-24_045.jpg

normal_PNF_9-24_053.jpg

normal_PNF_9-24_080.jpg

did anybody else see the sign for 323 not far after what we thought was 323 aka winding stairs?
FR323 is the Forestry designation for Winding Stairs Rd.

did we go down the wrong road?
Nope, you have to have had a plan in order to go down the wrong road and I really didin't. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom