transfercase removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got a blown clutch, to make it easier for myself, would like to remove t\case then gearbox to get to the clutch..is it possible to drop the t\case off the back without having to dismantle the t\ case partially. 1991 hzj75. thanx

I will have to say no... There is a hidden bolt which requires the transfer case to be split to allow it to be removed from the manual trans.

Toyota engineers again were sleeping when designing this gearbox and transfer. You have to get it both down. I just did it alone 3 weeks ago using a 30$ chain block from the top. I let the bellhousing on the engine, felt it was easier to remove and reinstall. The opening in the floor is enough to get it out. Was super easy like that to get the about 140kg down!
20151130004548.jpg

20151130004603.jpg

Welcome mate
I use my motorcycle scissor stand that's similar to this with a few blocks off wood to balance the box and transfer works very well.

XTech Harley / Cruiser / ATV Hydraulic Lift Motorbike Work Stand XTMST150
without spending more money or busting my ass, l figured removal of the t\case would be easier for me. have a trolley jack from a pal that has a cradle on it but was thinking lose the t\case first then the box and l would be happier doing it that way. need to maybe fix an oilseal leak between them anyway, if they separate easily. done 490,000k

A couple of boxes of beer and a few mates would be a much easier way to do your clutch than pulling the transfercase apart, even pulling the engine would be easier :)

A couple of boxes of beer and a few mates would be a much easier way to do your clutch than pulling the transfercase apart, even pulling the engine would be easier :)
haha Last time l tried that, we hada lot of hangers on, bludgers and took 6 hours to do a 3 hour job. l'm 63 and make the most of my time left. about to pull the beast out this morn. thanx everyone for the info. that hidden bolt on the inside of the case was what l feared..it all comes out together.

I just changed the clutch in my BJ73. Taking it out was a bit of a gong show balancing the transmission/transfer/pto on a floor jack. For reinstallation, I built a simple "T" out of 2x6's to place under the entire assembly (with the top of the T braced on the bottom of the centre differential and the PTO). I placed the "T" on the jack and found the centre of gravity lifting point. It made the install super easy as I was able to jack the whole thing up into place with minimal risk of tipping. Even slipping the input shaft splines into the clutch was simple.

If you don't have a PTO... you'd have to put a bit more effort into finding the centre of gravity, but it's still doable.

They get the name "split-case" due to the fact they have to be split to remove them from the transmission, simply not possible to get to the inner hardware without splitting the two halves. Pull it out as an assembly or plan to do a t-case reseal and/or rebuild at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom