Transfer Trail Overnight August 24th- 26th (Tentative) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thomas Dawson has pulled a small GI trailer over the pass but it probably weighs around 1000# and he is quite fearless when it comes to taking that trailer into difficult spots.

On the other side is the fact that the trail between Crystal and the pass is considered to be the most dangerous one in Colorado having claimed some 19 lifes including 9 in one famous crash.

Ace

Jon:
Been doing that pass with some regularity most of my life in everything from a '49 Jeep to a brand new '73 FJ40 to Broncos, even a longbed Ford pickup (which emerged with a scraped up bed side at the spot Dagored mentioned). Well before that, my granddad moved his family from Marble back to CB over Schofield in a wagon in the early 1900s. There's too little road and you have too much trailer, not to mention the probably insurmountable hassle if someone's coming the other way. THere's a time and place for challenges...this ain't it.
Jim

Jon:
Been doing that pass with some regularity most of my life in everything from a '49 Jeep to a brand new '73 FJ40 to Broncos, even a longbed Ford pickup (which emerged with a scraped up bed side at the spot Dagored mentioned). Well before that, my granddad moved his family from Marble back to CB over Schofield in a wagon in the early 1900s. There's too little road and you have too much trailer, not to mention the probably insurmountable hassle if someone's coming the other way. THere's a time and place for challenges...this ain't it.
Jim

Great advice from somebody who's been there and done that and doesn't need a t-shirt to prove it.

The wedding I am attending was re-scheduled for the 19th so I am good to go for the weekend of the 24th - 26th.

I'll cast my vote for Schofield/Pearl/Talor over Transfer Trail and the Flattops. Though I am biased because my office is 2 miles from Transfer and I ride my bike up there every other day after work.

I may come out for this run....will there be any snow up top? I will be coming from 112 degree days....

Should not be any snow on roads/trails but I did see a big snow drift up on the Flattops last year in September but 2011 was a big snow year.

Good evening fellas. Just caught up on the posts... Just a reminder the cruiser-q trip in September is planning on a crystal -> schoefield -> crested butte -> pearl pass route. With an overnighter planned for brush creek road

So we're going to run all that on Saturday then camp one night on Brushy crk? What about Sunday? I guess I'm a bit confused here. Do we (BCC) really want to do the same run that the Cruiser-Q is doing a month later??

Ace

Last edited:
So we're going to run all that on Saturday then camp one night on Brushy crk? What about Sunday? I guess I'm a bit confused here. Do we (BCC) really want to do the same run that the Cruiser-Q is doing a month later??

Ace

CruiserQ 2012 -> Saturday: GWS -> Marble -> Crystal -> Schoefield -> CB...stay the night on BC road.
Sunday: -> Pearl Pass -> Aspen -> lunch at Hickory House in Aspen.

Who knows, with how the fire restrictions keep ramping up in Western Co. none of us may be allowed into the high country by August.... :frown:

Ace

The plan was to not duplicate what the Cruiser-Q guys decided to do. Their plans were not set in stone until recently, hence the confusion in the thread. Now they are so our run can be solidified. This is Matt's run and I'm sure he will post an update soon, I know he is really busy at work so give him a little time.

The plan was to not duplicate what the Cruiser-Q guys decided to do. Their plans were not set in stone until recently, hence the confusion in the thread. Now they are so our run can be solidified. This is Matt's run and I'm sure he will post an update soon, I know he is really busy at work so give him a little time.

Sounds good. I am in regardless of destination. Transfer Trail is much better suited to bringing a trailer along. It has some switchbacks that are a PITA with a long trailer but it's not risky like Schofield, just tedious. You get them all out of the way in the first couple miles, past Windy Point it smooth sailing, I do expect you to rally the mud pits in the dark timber with your trailer Jonathan ;) Just kidding, with this weather they will be dust bowls by August.

Last edited:
All true but there are dozens of big water bars that the trailer will drag over but other than loosing some paint off the bottom no worries. Last year I had a short and high hitch-haul behind my FJ and it dragged in a few spots.

Ace

All true but there are dozens of big water bars that the trailer will drag over but other than loosing some paint off the bottom no worries. Last year I had a short and high hitch-haul behind my FJ and it dragged in a few spots.

Ace

Oh yea you will definitely drag over those water bars, no getting around that. Even with a tiny tent trailer you would probably drag on some of the steeper ones.

FYI - Rode the CRF up to Heart Lake yesterday. It is VERY dry up there, the water crossings are trickles, I was looking forward to dunking my head in the stream and had to settle for soaking my shirt and wringing it out over my head. This time last year I was worried about drowning my bike. The trail was like riding in deep flour. It was a ton of fun getting sideways and whipping over the water bars but it was also very tiring, felt like a day of riding sand dunes. Should be a nice buttery ride in the trucks though. Felt great to gain some elevation and get out of this heat. Even got a little rain on us! :D

I know we just had a meeting last week and wondered if all the dates for Transfer Trail, Battlement Mesa and Cruiser Q were sorted out. Also any other additions or changes?

Ace

I had to swap some of my on-call time to accommodate a Labor Day dual sport ride so I am now on-call the 24th-26th and will unfortunately not be able to join you guys. I will probably meet you at the gathering spot if it's in Glenwood or at the trail-head and say hello.

Already prepping for the Labor Day ride. The FJ has to be one of the most expensive dirt bike stands out there!

279956_10151168962719042_653430269_o.jpg

I'm doing a warm up ride this weekend. Riding from Steamboat Springs, CO to Bridger Peak, WY. Leaving Friday night, camp somewhere around Steamboat and head out on the bikes in the morning. If any of you bikers want to join us it's open to all comers. It will be 98% Forest Service roads and about 2% pavement so I wouldn't show up on your Ducati 1199 Panigale. :D

Last edited:
So Matt, are you still planning to lead this run? Jonathan seems to think your out. If not, then I'm ready to lead it. Been up there several times and know the place quite well. My plan is close to your original one. Meet in GWS under the lift (same as past Cruiser Qs) at 10:00 AM Friday August 24. Go up Transfer Trail, hit Grizzly Camp trail then loop back to Adams Lake to camp. Stay on at Adams Lake Saturday and spend that night there too. Those that may not be able to leave Friday AM can come up Friday evening or Saturday and find us at Adams Lake. I plan to take my inflatable kayak and fishing gear and see how the trout are biting. There are plenty of trails to try in the area for those so inclined. Then we will head out Sunday via trails that end up in New Castle. This route is significantly more difficult than Coffee Pot Road but easily done in a stock rig, but not so sure with a trailer. I drove it last year with a hitch-haul behind me and it only dragged in a few spots. The section from the mesa top to New Castle is an amazing twisty road with close to 100 switchbacks. It's a beautiful drive during fall colors.

So I hope we can get a good club turn out and help me celebrate my birthday in style (25th). No, that's not my age, but it'd be nice if it was. ; )

Ace

Just learned Matt will be in Washington visiting VMI for truck mods. I'd like to see some posts on this trip, like who's going and any suggestions on alternative plans. I'd like to accommodate everyone within reason. Example might be if someone wanted to bring a big RV it is possible by driving up Coffeepot Rd and camp in one of the many open areas or regular campgrounds (2). But it would not be ok to drive to Adams Lake as its a moderate 4x4 trail. However you could come in to visit/hangout with your 4x4.

Please post up.

Ace

Thanks Ace. I have prior commitments but it should be a great trip! I'll send a group email out soon.

Hey Cruiserheads,

I really would like to see some feedback here even if it's only regrets. This trip is aimed at the members and guests who like to camp and I know there are no shortage of campers. The trails we will be on are not extreme by any measure, but yeh, a few harder spots to keep it interesting. Adams Lake is simply enchanting. In fact the entire Flat Tops area is beautiful. Picture Grand Mesa without the crowds; hundreds of alpine lakes, huge rolling meadows, views that will amaze, and no crowds.

The other day I was in Cabelas and picked up two National Geographic maps of the Flat Tops #123 & 125. Highly recommended if you will be doing any solo driving up here or just like to know where you are. To give you an idea of the size of the Flat Tops it takes two more maps to cover the whole area. As mentioned earlier in this thread the Wells 4x4 Guide Book for Northern Colorado is a great reference and it covers all three trails we plan to run. Pretty sure Hugh sells these at Safari Ltd.

So come on out, or really up, and help me celebrate my birthday this weekend. Did someone say PARTY?

Ace

Adams Lake being admired by one of the twins.

image-49398461.jpg

I can go but can't leave Gwood until 4:00. Which kinda sucks not going with the group. It's a pretty long drive solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom