Tranny just crapped the bed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replied earlier that I misspoke about the viscous coupler. When I spoke to him today, there was no mention of one. As far as whether he took the transfer case apart, I'm not sure. I assumed he did, and that's how he knew about the center differential. I asked him more than a few times about the drive plate, and he assured me it was not the culprit. Glen from Lex Tech in Charleston is doing the work, and he is vouched for on the first page of this thread. The new case should be here tomorrow, and I honestly don't have much interest in scrounging up a used one; I need my truck back, and I don't mind paying for a new one because I plan on driving this truck for as long as it runs.

As far as the noise when it happened, I really don't remember how loud it was. I was in traffic and the radio was up. It got my attention instantly; I knew without looking that I hadn't just accidentally knocked it into neutral. It was abrupt and violent.

I really appreciate all the help and input guys, but short of becoming a Toyota master mechanic, I've done about all I can do.

Seems like he's got a decent mechanic. Maybe parts fell out of the drain hole or the case is cracked, but it shouldn't take long to determine what is broken.

Oh I'd get it framed for that money! The case I mean.

I broke a tooth off one of the centre diff pinion gears and chipped a side gear, rocking back and forth (unlocked) on some logs with ATRAC doing a dance ... operator error I'd call it. Swapping the T case was just disconnect the ends of the drive shafts, disconnect a few wires, undo the bolts that hold the T case to the gearbox and pull it off, reverse to refit, more or less :)

I have a used transfer case that there is no problem with sitting in my garage... I would've sold it to you cheap... I think your $4G's price is a lot for a tcase and labor... Just saying...

I have a used transfer case that there is no problem with sitting in my garage... I would've sold it to you cheap... I think your $4G's price is a lot for a tcase and labor... Just saying...

You're in VA and the truck is in SC (close)... That's just cruel. :D

At that close, you could hot-shot it tomorrow for a Sat delivery for $500 and still come out WAY ahead than a new one... Just sayin'...

Oh, and if the diff is ~$2300-$2500 new, then you're getting hosed on labor too...

I appreciate the offer. Y'all are making me have a pretty bad evening, all things considered. The new case has already been ordered and should be here tomorrow, and the figure he gave me was just an estimate. If he can swap out the cases in an afternoon, I imagine the labor rate should come down some. At this point, I am pretty sick of the whole ordeal and just want to get my truck back. I really don't believe I am going to get hosed, based on this guy's reputation.

I appreciate the offer. Y'all are making me have a pretty bad evening, all things considered. The new case has already been ordered and should be here tomorrow, and the figure he gave me was just an estimate. If he can swap out the cases in an afternoon, I imagine the labor rate should come down some. At this point, I am pretty sick of the whole ordeal and just want to get my truck back. I really don't believe I am going to get hosed, based on this guy's reputation.

I would ask him what he paid for it since Beno quoted you less than $2300 for a new one in the US.

Don't sweat all the Monday-morning-quarterbacking. When your truck is down and you need it back, and you're trusting a reputable mechnic, you gotta do what you gotta do. Look at it this way, when it's all done in a day or two, you should be good to go with no worries! Lex Tech seems to have come highly recommended. If he screws you, its only going to come back to bite him, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :cheers:

Don't sweat all the Monday-morning-quarterbacking. When your truck is down and you need it back, and you're trusting a reputable mechnic, you gotta do what you gotta do. Look at it this way, when it's all done in a day or two, you should be good to go with no worries! Lex Tech seems to have come highly recommended. If he screws you, its only going to come back to bite him, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :cheers:

I really appreciate this post. Thanks. If you can't trust someone recommended on Mud, who can you trust? :flipoff2:

Guys, I know Glenn personally. He is not the cheapest around and not the most expensive but he is one of the most competent and honest mechanics you will ever find. The man has taught me how to do work on my FJ60 and not charged me a dime...and on other times given me estimates for work and it came out cheaper. He is always working on repeat customers through reputation and doing the right thing. When he has given me estimates it is usually WORST CASE as he does not want to lowball the cost just to get your business and then have it cost more due to problems that arise...no matter the job. That being said...where it takes me 8 hours to do a knuckle rebuild he does in then just a couple hours.

He also almost always recommends factory Toyota/Lexus parts and shy's away from third party manufacturers and such.... I personally dont think you can get better work done and have confidence it was done right the first time and will be stood behind.....unless you yourself are a competent mechanic with a decade or two of experience as well.

Lots of second guessing...but you are the one with the broke truck and prices go up especially with high fuel rates, material shortages, and such.

if you feel you were screwed after Glenn is done and you ask him all the questions and such some here suggested...I will take you out for dinner and buy you some beers. I am that confident you will be pleased...I have never heard a customer of his say a bad thing about his work quality or his honesty.

Guys, I know Glenn personally. He is not the cheapest around and not the most expensive but he is one of the most competent and honest mechanics you will ever find. The man has taught me how to do work on my FJ60 and not charged me a dime...and on other times given me estimates for work and it came out cheaper. He is always working on repeat customers through reputation and doing the right thing. When he has given me estimates it is usually WORST CASE as he does not want to lowball the cost just to get your business and then have it cost more due to problems that arise...no matter the job. That being said...where it takes me 8 hours to do a knuckle rebuild he does in then just a couple hours.

He also almost always recommends factory Toyota/Lexus parts and shy's away from third party manufacturers and such.... I personally dont think you can get better work done and have confidence it was done right the first time and will be stood behind.....unless you yourself are a competent mechanic with a decade or two of experience as well.

Lots of second guessing...but you are the one with the broke truck and prices go up especially with high fuel rates, material shortages, and such.

if you feel you were screwed after Glenn is done and you ask him all the questions and such some here suggested...I will take you out for dinner and buy you some beers. I am that confident you will be pleased...I have never heard a customer of his say a bad thing about his work quality or his honesty.

Thanks for this. I don't feel I have insinuated through my postings that I am being screwed. Quite the opposite, actually. As I stated, I trust yours and other's evaluations and recommendations of Glenn, and I trust him from my conversations with him thus far. His shop is immaculate, and I have no doubt he knows what he is doing. If my posts came across otherwise, it was unintentional. I am not second guessing him, as I asked him the questions posted here and am completely satisfied with his responses and explanations. I realize automotive repair is not Burger King with the same prices everywhere, and I am certainly willing to pay for expedience and peace of mind. Nothing I posted was meant to be either offensive or to question integrity.

Whoops. I should have read more posts before opening my mouth and inserting foot.

I did NOT realize that the tech was a fellow mud member.

I will STFU now...

I do almost all my own work, I don't like mechanics making money off me. But when I get something done, I expect the mechanic to make money so he's there when I need him. I need to make money on my work to keep my shop going as well. If this guy doesn't make a decent buck off you he might be a great mechanic, but he won't be doing it long.

Exactly....you can do it yourself if you know how...you can go cheap with friends or questionable skills...or you can pay and be assured he will stand behind his work and be there for years to come.

Glenn has been doing this a long time....If I need him, he is there and I know it will be done correctly and fairly.

Ok, probably a little harsh with the burst your bubble comments. It just comes from getting so many calls from people that have trucks at shops that get mis-diagnosed or actually diagnosed before a teardown was actually done. Even "cruiser head" shops that don't work on the later model trucks are guilty of that. So when OP made the comment about viscous coupler it raised a red flag.

I also agree with Brock, not everyone is a mechanic and I can assure you that some people should NOT work on their trucks. We also see our share of botched jobs by self proclaimed diy mechanics.

Bottom line is that it seems that the OP is at a good shop and they will get it fixed. However I am still surprised that it actually broke. I would make sure you try to figure out why.

Totally agree with Brock's comment and wanted to say that Glenn does great work at a fair price. Sacmaster, you chose a good shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom