Torching with Propane (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never used a gas torch set up for cutting or preheating. Always used the plasma and always welded, stick, mig or tig.

So does anyone have experience running an O/A setup off of propane? I know it takes longer to heat up, but the A reg should also work off a standard 20# propane bottle and may be cheaper if only cutting and heating right?

That's all this will be used for is heating and cutting. Feedback? Thanks.

So, wait... you're not talking about those brown cylinders I buy at Ace Hardware are you?

Sorry not my cup o tea. In case you hadn't figured that out yet. If you hadn't, I don't think you should be playing with propane either.

I've used propane/oxy before. You're right, it doesn't get as hot as O/A, but is okay for light stuff. I used to use it for glasswork in a lab where it was just peachy. I've never cut metal with it (except sheet metal), but it will do light welding, albeit slower.

Thanks Scampler. Don't need it for welding, but for cutting and heating. That's all it will be used for.

Hey Junk,

I haven't used propane/oxy either but I suspect that if it was the chit my uncle would have it in his shop. While you're on the look out for a press keep the other eye pealed for an oxy/ace setup.

Or just have yo'momma come over and cut stuff with her nastyness... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

:cheers:

Nick Jennings

I have seen quite a few guys use propane around here, mostly heavy equipment guys, they seem real happy with it.

If you are going to go that route, use MAPP gas instead of propane. It will get hotter and conserve your oxygen, which is your limiting factor.

"Because of its superior heat transfer characteristics, MAPP produces a flame temperature of 5300°F when burned with oxygen. MAPP equals, or exceeds, the performance of acetylene for cutting, heating, and braz- ing. MAPP is not sensitive to shock and is nonflamma- ble in the absence of oxygen. There is no chance of an explosion if a cylinder is bumped, jarred, or dropped. You can store or transport the cylinders in any position with no danger of forming an explosive gas pocket. The characteristic odor, while harmless, gives warn- ings of fuel leaks in the equipment long before a dan- gerous condition can occur. MAPP gas is not restricted to a maximum working pressure of 15 psig, as is acety- lene. In jobs requiring higher pressures and gas flows, MAPP can be used safely at the full-cylinder pressure of 95 psig at 70°F. Because of this, MAPP is an excellent gas for underwater work."

Last edited:
Zebrabeefj40 - Pay up Sucka. momma says you owe her $1.49 for the 13 seconds from last week :flipoff2:

IDave - thanks, but Mapp will be mucho more expensive than propane right? I know that Propane probably must be at least 1,000°F cooler than Mapp or ace, but figure in the long run it would be cheaper and I can piggy off the spare tank for the gas grill etc. Going to propane means I need better hoses, what about with Mapp? Would Mapp use the same torch and same tips as ace? Any limit to the % you can use over time? Thanks.

Junk, Mapp was $8 at Lowes, so was the Oxygen. Dunno about the propane for sure, but I think a bottle is just about the same. Thing is, since it is a hotter flame, your work time is less, and you save your oxygen. I forget exactly, but I think the chart I had said your oxygen lasts a third again as long. No idea if the economics for portable translates into your bigger setups, but I would check it out.

Also, they say that MAPP gas is safer than propane: much less explosive. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

IDave said:
Also, they say that MAPP gas is safer than propane: much less explosive. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

Yeah Junk, when you blow yourself up, let us know how much time it took, how difficult it was, etc. :D :flipoff2:

We use propane all of the time on the farm. Much cheaper and you can cut the thick stuff (1" and more), it just takes a little patience. Also it doesn't have the soot (sp??) when you fire it up. I've also found I get a little bit more slag stuck on the metal when I use propane, but that is probably just my cutting technique. Also when you get down cutting, just take your bottle off and have a BBQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom