Took the plunge, bought a landcruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the plunge and purchased a landcruiser. '92, 234K miles on it. Took it for a test drive, it was a little rough ride, I think the transmission will need some work down the road, but it was pretty decent.

6326837898.239847719.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Saw the add off autotrader, and the seller was a really nice guy, very friendly. I will pick it up tomorrow and try to get more pictures in. The paint/clearcoat is bad on the entire right side, and it does have lockers on it. Wish me luck.

Welcome aboard. Looks like a little lift, but those side-steps are 'damage multipliers' for sure. Good canvas to start with.

Welcome aboard. Looks like a little lift, but those side-steps are 'damage multipliers' for sure. Good canvas to start with.

Damage multipliers? I really don't know too much about cars, I'm more of a gun guy, but I am going to have a trial by fire I suppose. It didnt have any leaks and looks ok for 16 year old car. The AC was ice cold. It was a little rough when it was shifting gears, and the idleing vibrated. A couple of the incidcator lights were on.. Again I will post pictures when I drive her home.

Any suggestions on good places to get work done in the San Diego area?

Sweet ride. Welcome to the club.

Damage multipliers? I really don't know too much about cars, I'm more of a gun guy, but I am going to have a trial by fire I suppose. It didnt have any leaks and looks ok for 16 year old car. The AC was ice cold. It was a little rough when it was shifting gears, and the idleing vibrated. A couple of the incidcator lights were on.. Again I will post pictures when I drive her home.

Any suggestions on good places to get work done in the San Diego area?

OK, for clarification, by "little lift" I didn't mean it was little, I meant "somewhat lifted". It just looked funny when I read it again. Actually, that's probably as much of a suspension lift that you need for an 80 unless you want to go crazy.

By "damage multiplier" I meant that the side-steps you have there don't look like proper rock sliders, and if you were to actually hit a rock with those, they would in fact do more damage to your rig than if you didn't have them at all. Thus - damage multipliers. Look good, but if you want good rocker panel protection, get or fab some good strong sliders that mount directly to the frame.

And, good news. If you're in the San Diego area, there's quite a contingent of '80's owners down there. Check out our forum here:

CA- SoCal 80's - IH8MUD.com Forum

and maybe you can break free to go on a run that may come together for March 22nd. Check up and introduce yourself to the locals.

I don't own an early 80 (3FE engine) but I think some amount of vibration is normal for that engine. A baseline tune-up with a compression check will tell you the health of the engine, and then compare to other 3FE owners when you can.

Sorry, missed the proper mud salute the first time. :flipoff2:

Dan.

OK, for clarification, by "little lift" I didn't mean it was little, I meant "somewhat lifted". It just looked funny when I read it again. Actually, that's probably as much of a suspension lift that you need for an 80 unless you want to go crazy.

By "damage multiplier" I meant that the side-steps you have there don't look like proper rock sliders, and if you were to actually hit a rock with those, they would in fact do more damage to your rig than if you didn't have them at all. Thus - damage multipliers. Look good, but if you want good rocker panel protection, get or fab some good strong sliders that mount directly to the frame.

And, good news. If you're in the San Diego area, there's quite a contingent of '80's owners down there. Check out our forum here:

CA- SoCal 80's - IH8MUD.com Forum

and maybe you can break free to go on a run that may come together for March 22nd. Check up and introduce yourself to the locals.

I don't own an early 80 (3FE engine) but I think some amount of vibration is normal for that engine. A baseline tune-up with a compression check will tell you the health of the engine, and then compare to other 3FE owners when you can.

Sorry, missed the proper mud salute the first time. :flipoff2:

Dan.

Ok, thanks for all the information, I have been reading all I can from here. next step is to get a repair manual and drive the rig around and get a feel for the vechicle. It was kind of an impusle buy, but it was a pretty good deal, $2900 bucks.

I took the plunge and purchased a landcruiser. '92, 234K miles on it. Took it for a test drive, it was a little rough ride, I think the transmission will need some work down the road, but it was pretty decent.

6326837898.239847719.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Saw the add off autotrader, and the seller was a really nice guy, very friendly. I will pick it up tomorrow and try to get more pictures in. The paint/clearcoat is bad on the entire right side, and it does have lockers on it. Wish me luck.

Does it have Front and Rear lockers? If so they were added after market as they were not and option on the 91-92's. Odds are these "lockers" are the CDL switch that locks the center diff. Search CDL for more than you ever wanted to know.

Welcome to the club...just don't want you to be mislead with the locker statement.

Does it have Front and Rear lockers? If so they were added after market as they were not and option on the 91-92's. Odds are these "lockers" are the CDL switch that locks the center diff. Search CDL for more than you ever wanted to know.

Welcome to the club...just don't want you to be mislead with the locker statement.

Thanks for the scoop. You are probally right, I didn't do a real good job at checking out the vechicle prior to purchasing it, but well thats the best way to learn. Going to pick it up today and get it checked out, tuned up. I will see how much more I have to go...

It looks like a good place to start your transformation from normal person to Cruiserhead. The truck can get addicting.

If your engine problems are serious think about a Chevy small block V8. I have seen one instead of the 3FE and it is a vast improvement in performance.

The truck is a great stable platform to begin with and you can easily improve on the baseline.

Good Luck

x2 for FJ80toyman, I will now rip off and repeat all he has said.

It looks good to me, It would be hard to do bad for that price. I like your ARB and looks like your getting a winch too. but you should get rid off those tube steps they cut into you clearance. make shore to check in with all us at the SoCal 80s and good luck.

Nice rig, you should be proud. Wish my 80 came with an ARB bar. sweet. :beer:

ChuckD

Picked the beast home today, the winch was removed. The interior looks to be in OK shape, the drivers seat needs some reupholstering. There are plinking indicator lights, AT/Temp warning light, Discharge warning light and the brake light are on. I am taking it to sdtrux tomorrow to see what I really have on my hands.

Drive= its is pretty smooth when accelerating, but there is a "clunk" when I step off the gas, I hope its not the transmission, I called a transmission place and they quoted over the phone it could run $3500+ to fix:frown:. I hope it wont come to that.

The AC is icey cold, the moonroof, and most of the power functions work as far as I can see. The fuel door release is a bit sticky. I am a bit excited and kinda aprehensive at the time. Hope I didn't make too much of an impulsive buy....

the clunk you are referring to is probably worn out u joints in the driveshafts, not a big deal at all, a shop woud probably charge less than 200 to rebuild both. Honestly though, if that tranny has not been rebuilt at 234k, then you can't expect it not to shift like s***. 80 trannys are tough, but 230k+ is pushing it for an auto, even for a yoda. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, btw has the front axle been done. Good luck.

:whoops:
Well the honeymoon lasted as long as well, you get the story: Took it to the shop and they gave me the bad news:

Front end needs major work: $3000
Differential needs repair: ~$700
Transmission may need work $$$
OUCH!.
Thats not getting to the engine yet, they said it seems ok:frown:.
I initially thought that with around another $4000 or so I would be able to get a semi-reliable rig to go on light desert trails. But it looks like I will need to spend much much more than anticipated. So I am wieghing my options on going forward with the repairs that can easily total upwards to $7000 off the bat.:bang:.

I am not very skilled to do that extensive work on this truck. I have to decide weather or not to just cut my losses or pour $$$$$$$$$$$$ into this rig.

Anyone want a project vechicle? or trade repair services for.....firearms?:wrench::cheers:..... What a bummer.:crybaby:

If it isn't your daily driver, I would encourage you to buy the factory service manual (I would actually do that either way) and start punching things off of the list. Find a friend who can provide guidance... someone with experience as a mechanic can be a huge help even if they're sitting in your favorite chair and drinking your beer while you're busting your knuckles. Someone with experience with your vehicle can also be a big help.

Achieve roadworthy status, then work on reliable.

Or, drop $12k on a diesel and manual tranny swap. :D

Dude, don't get too bummed out about this one. You got a pretty good deal to begin with and you had to expect some work - maybe not THAT much but old cars of any kind need love.

dgranth said it simply, buy a repair manual and do what you can when you can. This is a great group and if you need help, you can search (first) or ask somebody here. If you're up for an education, this is a good one.

And if you were closer to Southbay, I'd definitely work on it for a gun swap! In fact, if I didn't have a project in the driveway right now, I'd take you up on that one! The :princess: wouldn't be excited, but she knows I'm happiest when I have a project :) And I like that color.

Good luck and hang in.

Absolutely--don't let those prices scare you. Tap into the network on here for some experienced hands, call up Cruiser Dan to get superlative parts guidance and prices, buy some beer, make some time, and break it down into sections. You can easily do the front end rebuild for a 1/3 of that price or less . . . and that's if you do all new bearings, brake rotors, pads, seals, everything except birfs . . . if I am remembering correctly. I didn't touch the differential, tho. Except later to replace a leaking pinion oil seal . . .

There's always stuff you need to do sooner than later and other stuff you can put off for a bit. You don't need to do absolutely eveything right now. I've had mine for just over a year and I've been picking away at it slowly but surely...

Welcome to the clan...:flipoff2:

These things grow on you....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom