too retarded, need to advance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think my distributor is set into the camshaft one tick wrong as I can ALMOST get my timing set right but not quite. When my timing gets to where I want it to be the distributor hits the oil filler and won't advance any more. So, I need to pull the dissy out of the cam hole and reinsert it. But which way do I turn it, clockwise or counter clockwise? I think I will have to pull off the valve cover and turn the engine some too, without the dissy in place. So which way do I turn the engine?

RG

I am new to toyota, but I would think you should be able to pull the dizzy, turn the oil pump with a screwdriver and install the dizzy one tooth clockwise or counter clockwise. If you are hitting the oil filter I would assume you would want to move one tooth clockwise. no need to pull the valve cover. I am sure someone will corect me if I am wrong.

Don't turn the engine, just turn the dizzy one tooth counterclockwise...
Might be easier just to put a smaller oil filter on, Toyota makes one.

If its a fram oil filter and bigger than a PH-8 it's too large. Mike

Or you could move the plug wires one position over. That's certainly the easiest.

Sorry. It's not hitting the oil filter, its the dipstick coming up out of the block.

I am wondering if my timing gear and crankshaft gear were not properly mated, because I am having to twist a long way counterclockwise to get the timing where I like it.

If I index the plug wires, which way do I go? Every one shifts one step counterclockwise? I like that idea!

I am wondering if my timing gear and crankshaft gear were not properly mated, because I am having to twist a long way counterclockwise to get the timing where I like it.

Sigh.... TAKE THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT AND TURN IT ONE TOOTH COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AND REINSTALL IT. Stick a long screwdriver down the distributor hole in the crankcase while it's off, and turn the oil pump maybe a 1/16 of turn counter-clockwise too, so the dizzy will drop back in all the way and turn the oil pump.

Your cam timing has nothing (well almost nothing) to do with your ignition timing; they are two separate things.

Thanks 1911 for clarifying the CAM timing. But, I can't turn the body of my dissy counterclockwise any more, because the vacuum advance that hangs off the right side of the dissy is fully up to the dipstick that comes up out of the block on the F engine. I could leave the BODY of the dissy in one place and turn the rotor counterclockwise and index the oil pump the same amount. Is that what you meant? I think it is.

What he means is that you disconnect the hold down, pull the dizzy out, rotate it, and reinsert it a tooth or two over.
You can either do that or you can move the plug wires.
Either way is fine and accomplish the same thing. If the cap is labelled with the plug numbers, some future owner will be cursing you if they don't match. If you pull the dizzy and don't get the oil pump gear engaged, you'll be cursing yourself.

I apologize for my poor description of the problem. I have included a picture, which I should have done the first time. The dissy cannot rotate further COUNTERclockwise as you can see in the picture. It is already hitting the dipstick. I think all of the wires need to be indexed one spot around the circle. Which way?
tempdissy.JPG

Last edited:
So, you need to turn the dizzy clockwise, move the wires counter-clockwise...

Case closed. I moved the plug wires on the distributor around in the circle one step COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Then turned the distributor around CLOCKWISE to get the timing within the zone where I want it and can get the advance I want. I include a picture of the new orientation relative to the old (above).

Thanks all for keeping from being so retarded.
tempdissy2.JPG

Couple of clarifications for future readers:
The way I think of it is that if the rotor turns clockwise and you want the spark to reach the wire earlier, you move the plug wires closer to the rotor or counterclockwise.

And unless I misunderstand your first picture, you were trying to rotate the dizzy COUNTERclockwise, not clockwise when it struck the dipstick, no?

Correct. Counterclockwise = advance timing. Clockwise = retard timing.

Changing the plug wires may work as a lazy bandaid, but as others mentioned way back, you needed to totally remove the distributor from the engine and reinsert it in the proper orientation. Then you would have the proper timing adjustment AND your plug wires would match the cap numbers. I feel bad for anybody that would have to mess with your truck. If you are going to do a job, do it right.

Given the number of people who have ruined their engine by removing and reinstalling the distributor, moving the wires is the correct way to deal with the timing issue. If it bothers you that the little numbers on the cap don't match the cylinder, you can shave them off or buy an after market cap.

or write new ones on the plug and the wires with a sharpie (silver sharpie if it's black)

Why over think it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom