There she blows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to do some firewood scouting as well. I was thinking up by Payson or Stoneman lake. I am looking for shaggy bark cedar or alligator juniper.

I thought you were allowed to drive in to recover game?

Are there roads still closed in the Coconino forest?

Personally like oak myself. Cedar leaves less ash but oak puts out more heat. Myself it is easier for me to head north on 87 and look for cider when it drops in elevation heading towards Winslow.

Coconino National Forest has travel map that comes out around May each year. The rules of where you can go off road and for what are in there. I believe some hunt units you can still recover game by driving off road. Think 6A is not one of them. I haven't hunted in a number of years so haven' paid that close attention to which unit. Cutting firewood I do every year so I follow the rule on that. My Land Cruisers have traveled far off road to recover firewood. This is in the fall when the ground is hard and I'm not tearing anything up.

There are plenty of closed roads in CNF. The travel map shows what roads you can travel on. Some roads only highway registered vehicles can use. This is mainly all weather roads where travel is higher speeds. This is suppose to keep the quads off so less chance of a accident. As a forest user it is on you to know the rules. No effort was made to put up signage. My area is around Jack's Canyon. Lot of small roads branching of the main road along the canyon. Most those are now closed. But that haven't stopped travel on them. We have new Forest Service LEO in the area. My neighbor described him as someone with a little badge looking to get a bigger one. Best to get the travel map and follow it. It's available at forest service offices and online.
bring your gloves. the scorpions love that stuff :zilla:

My guess the scorpions are Johnny come lately and get into the wood down here. Never seen or heard of scorpions at that elevation. Not sure about Payson but Stoneman area I have never seen any. In my forty years up north have only seen one black tail rattler. But I always wear gloves, plenty of other insects in down wood. Oak and cedar have to be dead and down.

Orpheum Theater that is a pretty small venue. Last time I was there it was just a movie theater. Lived just behind the country club when I moved to AZ. At that time it was Coconino country club. Then Fairfield. What's it called now

Continental Country Club, advertised as "Jakes on the Green" (the associated supporting restaurant). Poor planning IMO, several hundred families and only 2 food booths. Forget about getting seconds.:(

You can not drive off road to scout for wood but allowed to drive in a get it. Large game you can not drive in a recover.:meh:

Am I reading this right? If so that is nuts.

I took a look at a few year old travel map I have in town, 8, both 6A & 6B, 7E & 7W are okay for one vehicle to recover elk only. 5A, 5BN, 5BS and 11 are not allowed for any game. No mention of 7? Still looking the section on wood cutting. Might be on the permit which I haven't purchase yet. My neighbor up north has his and said it was still allowed but I will check myself. Hope to be doing as well as my neighbor when I'm that old, he turned 81 earlier this year.

I took a look at a few year old travel map I have in town, 8, both 6A & 6B, 7E & 7W are okay for one vehicle to recover elk only. 5A, 5BN, 5BS and 11 are not allowed for any game. No mention of 7? Still looking the section on wood cutting. Might be on the permit which I haven't purchase yet. My neighbor up north has his and said it was still allowed but I will check myself. Hope to be doing as well as my neighbor when I'm that old, he turned 81 earlier this year.

That kind of sucks for 5BS. I got drawn for elk and if I take one I guess I will have to quarter it and carry it out to the truck.

That kind of sucks for 5BS. I got drawn for elk and if I take one I guess I will have to quarter it and carry it out to the truck.

BTDT. The flavor of elk improves with each mile that you have to carry it on your back. John

Coconino has about the most user friendly motor vehicle use map "travel aids". The official map is the paper or pdf of the paper map, but they have downloadable apps for androids & Icraps, and a special map for most Garmins.

They also have colored pdfs for laptops:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224

So do you travel CNF much? I remember your 71. Too bad years ago with could of gotten together. I rolled my 68 back in 75. I replaced the top with a beige top off of a 73. My 68 was Capri Blue. Guessing the top on your 71 was a 72-74. We could have traded.

I am a low tech guy (reason I like 40s I guess) with a Droid with no cell tower service still work these travel maps? I also have a Garmin I purchase close to fifteen years ago I need to figure that one out.

There is a loop shown on the map on south side of Jack's Canyon I didn't went thru. I want check it out since it's in my back yard but some many roads in the area I'm afraid our local Forest Service LEO will show and give me a ticket, nothing is marked in the area. In some areas the paper travel map is worthless with so many unmarked roads in the area. With Barney Fife in the area would be nice to know your on a legal road.

Looked at the link and it still closed to elk recovery. That does suck. I recovered a small bull in 6B years ago using my 68 FJ40. Sucked with manual steering and Lockrights front and rear. Anything longer would have not been able to work thru the trees with anything longer. I had put plastic down but still need to pull the seats and gas tank when I got home to wash all the blood out.:oops: Since I switched to road hunting. Not driving but walking the roads. Only issue is having bubba driving around with his old pickup full of empty beer cans in the bed.:bang: Only time I've been drawn for elk since I've had my cabin was in 5A. 5BS I hunt for years but never got drawn.:( Hunted turkey by Turkey Mountain. 93 is a rough road coming in from either FH3 or 211. I had a small travel trailer a buddy of mine used for years. Found a easy way finally that looks like is still on the map.

BTDT. The flavor of elk improves with each mile that you have to carry it on your back. John

I agree with inkpot.
If you haven't had the experience, something you should do at least once in your life. Something fun to think about years later while you are in a tube having a MRI on the lower spine:grinpimp:

IH8PACKFRAMES

I agree with inkpot.
If you haven't had the experience, something you should do at least once in your life. Something fun to think about years later while you are in a tube having a MRI on the lower spine:grinpimp:

IH8PACKFRAMES

There's only one thing to think about in the tube. Get me the fawk out of here.:eek::crybaby::bang:

:lol:

I agree with inkpot.

IH8PACKFRAMES

Owned a Land Cruiser before I got drawn the first time and haven't been drawn since the new restriction went into effect so guess that something I won't be able to check off my bucket list.:(:rolleyes:

There's only one thing to think about in the tube. Get me the fawk out of here.:eek::crybaby::bang:

When I had a MRI when asked if I had any metal from surgeries in my body my response not that know of but wasn't sure about when I was abducted by aliens and experimented on. Being inside the tube reminded of a sixties Syfy movie.:hmm: Guess it affects everybody different. If I wasn't making sure I don't move I could have taken a nap. I used ice packs so much on lower back that I don't even notice it. Few years back I didn't have anything between my skin and ice pack. Fell asleep and ended up with frost bite. Took about a year for the dark brown spot to go away.:bang:

Guess it affects everybody different.

I've yet to find an MRI big enough to accommodate my shoulders. I have to put both arms on top of my body and arch my shoulder to even get in the dirn thing. Then I end up with first degree burns anywhere my skin touches. I've yet to have an MRI that didn't involve some serious pain. I have no clue how they do MRIs on athletes, there's no way in hell they're fitting into the same tubes I've been stuffed into.

I've yet to find an MRI big enough to accommodate my shoulders. I have to put both arms on top of my body and arch my shoulder to even get in the dirn thing. Then I end up with first degree burns anywhere my skin touches. I've yet to have an MRI that didn't involve some serious pain. I have no clue how they do MRIs on athletes, there's no way in hell they're fitting into the same tubes I've been stuffed into.

Open MRI Glendale and 7th ave.

When I have an MRI on my knee I fell asleep. I'm weird I guess.

I fall asleep also. Nappy time.

The metal thing, if you weld or have any trade related stuff with steel, they want to x-ray your cabesa to make sure there are no tiny pieces of iron that may start spinning around in your eye sockets.:eek:

I had a full spinal in an open MRI. Slightly better, image quality isn't as good. Problem was, they did the whole thing while sitting on a stool. They'd put me in some contorted posture and say "don't move." Not hard for 5 minutes but 30-40 minutes at a time, rather unpleasant, especially since I'm prone to muscle spasms. By the time they were done, my entire back and neck was in knots.

So do you travel CNF much? I remember your 71. Too bad years ago with could of gotten together. I rolled my 68 back in 75. I replaced the top with a beige top off of a 73. My 68 was Capri Blue. Guessing the top on your 71 was a 72-74. We could have traded.

I am a low tech guy (reason I like 40s I guess) with a Droid with no cell tower service still work these travel maps? I also have a Garmin I purchase close to fifteen years ago I need to figure that one out.

There is a loop shown on the map on south side of Jack's Canyon I didn't went thru. I want check it out since it's in my back yard but some many roads in the area I'm afraid our local Forest Service LEO will show and give me a ticket, nothing is marked in the area. In some areas the paper travel map is worthless with so many unmarked roads in the area. With Barney Fife in the area would be nice to know your on a legal road.

I get up to the Cocos a few times a year. I was up on the Mogollon Rim a few weeks ago and came through the SE corner of the CNF on the road to Payson.

I don't have a tablet or smart phone (company phone is a Blackberry - not so smart!) so I don't know how the Coconino maps work on them, but they are pdfs that can at least be displayed. Other forests also have GeoPDF MVUMs that can work with something called Avenza pdf maps app for tablets & smart phones.

Supposedly after you install the free Avenza app you can download available MVUMs from some forests for free and they interact with the GPS unit and show your location on the MVUM.

http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps

Coconino's instructions for their Avenza GeoPDF maps is in this document:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5367024.pdf

I tried the Garmin MVUM a few years back and it was almost useless as it hid the main and Topo maps, and I deleted it after my first trip with it. The Garmin map may have gotten better since then, but I won't attempt using it.

It is really easy to determine where I am with the Garmin, and look up the road on the MVUM. I don't really need a live MVUM to get lost, I do that pretty well on my own.

As more forests complete their travel plans it will be very important to have an easy way to find out where the few remaining routes are located. The GeoPDF topo maps that I have downloaded from USGS are really slick, but since I don't have a built in GPS on my laptop they are used for planning, not live navigation.

Thank you for taking the time to type this out. I guess I will try to see if my old GPS will down load the file. Was really just hoping for something like navigation in a car where you come to a junction and go on the wrong road it would show it on the screen. My biggest complaint with the travel is they only show roads your allowed to use. It would help if all the roads were on it so you come to a junction with no signage you know which is the road your permitted to use. In the Blue Ridge area there are places that are honeycombed with roads. Currently you almost need the travel map, forest service map and topo map to figure it out. If the Government wants you to use only certain roads they need to make it less confusing. If you did get a ticket and went to court with pictures of all the unmarked roads that all looked like they have been traveled on the same hopefully the judge would throw it out. Unlike roads like the Weatherford Road up into the San Francisco Peaks where it's been block by rocks the size of a car, with the travel map they put it all on you and made no effort to block or put up signage. Because of this and the lack of LEOs in the area I doubt anything will chance so in a couple of years the no motorize vehicles road will not slowly get over grown. Then the greenies will come in and use this as a excuse why the whole area has to be closed.:bang:

GaiaGPS has this feature; but... the Android version is hiccupping all over the place. I still haven't been able to see a downloaded map. And it limits what you can zoom into and which USGS maps you have access to (the 1989 vintage seems to have the best detail for what's out there - notes about features, mines, etc.) TerraGo says they do plan an android feature for Adobe Reader - but won't provide a timeframe. And TerraGo does place you on the map if you use a PC with attached GPS.

Last edited:
Another sidenote: up in the PNW, most roads you can drive on are well maintained forest service; anything at all that looks fun or interesting appears to be gated, blocked by those car sized rocks, or otherwise well signed NO ENTRY for many reasons (lots of private land owned by logging companies).

10 minute torrential downpour, gotta love the monsoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom