The SwampDonkey (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

double check the bolts on the new steering arms... when I did mine they loosened off a bit after a couple of days and required some re-tightening.

Jack up the front end and see what moves...

Ya Id thought about that, but it was fine yesterday until I got the new tires which is the weird part. Could just be a coincidence though

Did u check the preload on the steering arms after u reassembled? Just curious. .. and dId u check the length on the shaft that the trunion sits on... just wondering if u have the correct amount of shims for the preload on the steering arms... if not it could cause a shopping cart wheel affect with the slop in your steering box...

Did u check the preload on the steering arms after u reassembled? Just curious. .. and dId u check the length on the shaft that the trunion sits on... just wondering if u have the correct amount of shims for the preload on the steering arms... if not it could cause a shopping cart wheel affect with the slop in your steering box...

Everything is tight down there for sure, shafts were the same. It was fine with the new steering until I got the tires

does it happen when u first start driving and then goes away or is it constant..

I used balancing beads in swampers and after 15 min of driving they would balance out with the beads.. tire had to warm up a bit for the beads to work..

As for the preload u have to put a pull scale on the each steering arm.. think it was like 10 to 15 lbs.. before the knuckle should move... I used the SST Knuckle tool and scale when I went six shooters and 4x4 lab arms...

As for the preload u have to put a pull scale on the each steering arm.. think it was like 10 to 15 lbs.. before the knuckle should move... I used the SST Knuckle tool and scale when I went six shooters and 4x4 lab arms...

didnt do that, kept with the same shims....but it felt the same as before. thinking the spacers I'm running are a little too large OD and not letting the wheel seat properly

Problem solved, spacer were the issue. Tires weren't seating properly due to the spacers being undersized.
Removed spacer in the front and got new ones for the rear
IMAG1820.jpg
IMAG1821.jpg

Spacers? Why do you have spacers Mr Lachlan? :hmm:

That would do it... thought u bought new rims... why didn't u buy the correct backspacing so u could eliminate the spacers..

The manufacturer said it was a requirement on Toyota's because of caliper clearance issues.
Turns out I didn't need them :bang: I would have gotten a different backspacing had a known this. Also the rear axle is narrower so I was trying to push out the rear as far as possible without having the front poke out
:meh:

I was just messing with you.. nothing wrong with running spacers...
If I remember correctly Cam was running a 2 inch backspacing rim from procomp that worked out well for his calipers..

I was just messing with you.. nothing wrong with running spacers...
If I remember correctly Cam was running a 2 inch backspacing rim from procomp that worked out well for his calipers..

Lachlan and I talked a bit about fitment. I ran 2.5" of backspace. I had 4Runner calipers and had to clearance them a bit to clear the rims (I had forgotten about that little detail)

I had an All Pro High Steer kit, Lachlan has the 4xLabs kit, I had a Semi Float rear axle and he has the FF. So there are some differences. Whatever the case Lachlan..... Your truck looks amazing.

Lachlan and I talked a bit about fitment. I ran 2.5" of backspace. I had 4Runner calipers and had to clearance them a bit to clear the rims (I had forgotten about that little detail)

I had an All Pro High Steer kit, Lachlan has the 4xLabs kit, I had a Semi Float rear axle and he has the FF. So there are some differences. Whatever the case Lachlan..... Your truck looks amazing.

Thanks man!, I went with a bigger backspace due to the rising amount of Vehicle Inspections being handed out these days, especially for tires poking outside the fender. Wanted to try to stay legal but increase the track width as much as possible.

Here's a project I tackled a while back.after cleaning the old solenoids too many times I finally sprung for new ones. The mounting brackets were different and they werent self grounding but man is it nice to have a working winch. All new wires, re fabbed copper connections and a paint job and it was looking good as new!
IMAG0079.jpg
IMAG0080.jpg
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0203.jpg

I think everyone has seen it since I painted the grill but here are some pictures anyways!

Cleaned all the parts with Simple Green Degreaser, then a quick sand to rough up the surface followed by a wipe with Methyl Hydrate. Picked up some plastic primer to seem legit before laying a couple coats of VHT Chassis and Rollbar paint on. I use the VHT on everything, bumpers, sliders, any blacking out i do. keep it consistent.

IMAG2012.jpg
IMAG2014.jpg
IMAG2090.jpg
IMAG2092.jpg
IMAG2093.jpg

There's some irony in seeing the last post is a winch rebuild and this one has a winch cable wound around the antenna... :flipoff2:

haha those are the electrical cables, pulled them when i removed the fairing

on a side note, turned out to be a bad ground to the battery, spooled in just fine the other day

Good to hear its all fixed again :)

Did you try it under load? The currents will be much higher and as such connections get more important.

Not yet, good to know though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom