The Coleman Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice-2 standouts there. The 413E is bomber. The torpedo tank and the tank hold down on the grate is evidence of Coleman's attention to detail. But what really makes it is the 3 slot leg adjuster. That's a 1960 only option.

The 413G is also from the era I like. Any dates? 1968ish?

Sorry Drew, just saw your comments on my post.

Yeah, I liked the 413E, but I honestly only grabbed the lot cuz I wanted the 414 Dual Fuel Powerhouse. It would not pump up, so I removed the check valve (have special tool), and soaked it in lacquer thinner over-night, then blew it out with compressed air, cleaned tank with BBs and thinner, refilled with fresh white gas. Works great now! Another Earthquake stove!

QUESTION ?? - The check valve 200-6381, (pic) did not have a O-ring on it. Is that normal? Seems to work fine and hold pressure without.

$(KGrHqZHJDQE7y9+vCcpBPF(rOK3ww~~60_12.JPG

Everything else got stuck into the shed quickly as the rain came and I didn't want to throw tarps over them, so no dates for now...

The o-ring was a late edition, not sure exactly when but traditionally, no o-ring was used. I got some new spare check valves from Lonestar Lantern recently and they come with the o-rings.

The 414 will benefit from a leather pump cup if it doesn't have on already. Mine had one of those crappy neoprene plastic cups. I had to make a bastardized pump assembly because it also had the plastic pump collar.

I was thinking about putting a leather pump cup on it as the neoprene one was a little buggered, but working. Haven't yet looked at how it would install. Mods necessary? The plastic pump collar is crap, so I'll look at the sites to see how people have made it work with a leather cup. I've never really dealt with any of the more modern Coleman pumps yet. The only one I regularly use that has it is the Northstar lantern and it has worked well, so far.

Thanks for the info about the O-rings!

Found a 220k on Cl with a case and extra mantles also an extra generator not bad for $30 i think. 20150307_101755.jpg 20150307_101558.jpg

Saw this add today on Craigslist. Lavoie Georgia.

Vintage Oil Lanterns

http://greenville.craigslist.org/atq/4910587562.html

Late 1800's and up oil lanterns. Some square tube, some railroad, and some stainless Coleman. Call for prices and better pictures, show contact info

I would like to fire up the 220k that i bought a few weeks ago,according to the owner it's been 2 years since it was last used should i just put fresh fuel and fire it up or should i clean up the tank prior to?

I would just fire it up.

I dug out my dad's old Coleman stuff from the 70s and my stuff from when I was in Boy Scouts and I am having a few troubles getting things going.

First, my Peak 1 single burner back packing lantern started right up after probably 25 years and ran great. It looks like this.
108498068.CVWSDtNe.jpg

2nd, my Dad's older 220 dual mantle lantern won't start and run consistently. It pumps up and holds pressure in the tank fine. I have replaced the generator but it still appears to either not be pulling enough fuel or air is getting pulled in somewhere. When it sputters it will light but eventually go out. When it does not sputter it will not light at all. I think its getting too much air in the fuel stream somewhere. Any suggestions?

3rd, my Peak 1 stove won't build pressure in the tank. It just pumps and spits fuel all over my thumb. The pump cup is the non-leather type and appears to be tight enough that it should build pressure, but won't. Any suggestions?
that is a relic! I still use my old peak! single burner stove to heat soup at work...

Alright, coleman geeks...My old 228H doesn't seem to light off right....the mantels never stop flaming. What are my suspects? the 220F lights right off, and I'm about to test the old 425 stove...any tips would be great.mThanks

How far did you open the valve?

Just barely crack it open. Listen for the hiss, then a light spitting noise. Light immediately. Open fully when the flames stop.

tried everywhere from just cracked, to quarter turn. let them burn for ten minutes or so, several different times. I suspect it just needs some use/cleaning/turning, and a new fillcap oring, or...

the 425F works great. so far 2 usable devices and one that needs a small repair for 30 bucks. I'm stoked.

tried everywhere from just cracked, to quarter turn. let them burn for ten minutes or so, several different times. I suspect it just needs some use/cleaning/turning, and a new fillcap oring, or...

It might have spiderwebs or other critters in the air tubes, making it run rich.

yeah, thinking it's carb rebuild time. been messin with it all day. the 220 lights right up, but maybe seems to be needing pumped frequently- thi nking check valves all around wouldn't be out of line, and new pump leathers, cap orings....think one of those old things had a can of salmon eggs hatch on it....smell my fingers...maybe it needed oiled on a fishing trip...

Alright, coleman geeks...My old 228H doesn't seem to light off right....the mantels never stop flaming. What are my suspects? the 220F lights right off, and I'm about to test the old 425 stove...any tips would be great.mThanks

Unfortunately, the other problem may be in the base of the fuel air tube, which may mean you need to unscrew the valve from the fount and clean it out really well, especially clearing the gunk from the tiny fuel intake tube at the bottom.

In going through Dad's Coleman collection, this nickle plated 242c latern (I need to check the month and year stamp on the bottom) was one I didn't see very often. I think he retired it for the new and larger 220f for our hunting trips
While I was growing up.

Pretty good condition, I will have to go through it someday.

0501151946.jpg
0501151950.jpg

Dayuuum!!! That doesn't even really need "going through"! New cap gasket and oil/replace the pump leather and I'll bet it fires right up.

Very nice!

Now that, is a nice lantern. Great brass or copper funnel too.

I would trade you a couple of 220s for it if you want to keep the family tradition alive!!

I can almost promise you that is a late 1949 or early 1950. It was the end of the 242 production.

More seriously, that's awesome, near mint condition.

Could you get a pic of the globe logo? I think that whole lantern is original.

Now that, is a nice lantern. Great brass or copper funnel too.

I would trade you a couple of 220s for it if you want to keep the family tradition alive!!

I can almost promise you that is a late 1949 or early 1950. It was the end of the 242 production.

More seriously, that's awesome, near mint condition.

Could you get a pic of the globe logo? I think that whole lantern is original.

:D thanks, here is a pic of the logo on the body, Ill try to find one on the globe this evening >

0501151951.jpg

and one of the copper funnel >

0501151951a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom