Terrain Tamer Spring Clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I got Terrain Tamer springs on my BJ74 with a 2" lift. I noticed that there is a clunk (annoying) when steering from left to right and vice versa at slow speeds. Thought it was a bushing but turns out that the lower leafes are moving against the main leaf. The Straps holding the leafs together and preventing side to side movement cannot be tightened enough to stop the clunk.

I'm thinking I could shim the straps between the leafs. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Matthias

I've got the exact same clunk on my 77 and have had it on several trucks in the past. It's as annoying as $%#&^!. The only way I've been able to get rid of it on previous vehicles is to disassemble the spring pack and grease the top and bottom surface of each leaf with the exception of the main and bottom ones. The ride improves by doing this too.

Next weekend I'm going to pull each wheel (one at a time), support the corner with a jackstand to the frame thus allowing the spring to droop, drive a chisel in between the leafs (in various spots) and try to inject grease between the leafs using a grease gun and needle. Hopefully will be adequate and save alot of time. Can post up the results if you like.

Hi,

I got Terrain Tamer springs on my BJ74 with a 2" lift. I noticed that there is a clunk (annoying) when steering from left to right and vice versa at slow speeds. Thought it was a bushing but turns out that the lower leafes are moving against the main leaf. The Straps holding the leafs together and preventing side to side movement cannot be tightened enough to stop the clunk.

I'm thinking I could shim the straps between the leafs. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Matthias

Try torquing the U bolts to about 90 psi.
I had the "straps" as you call them welded.

90 ft lb :D

I think they are supposed to be retorqued some time soon after installaion and I was thinking that is his problem

I'm going to re-torque the u-bolts and see if that will make a difference.

Welding the straps to the leafes? Wouldn't that prevent the leafs from moving along the length of the spring also?

Welding the straps to the leafes? Wouldn't that prevent the leafs from moving along the length of the spring also?

Don't even think about welding to the spring. I think rosco meant he tightened the spring wrap by having the two wraparound pieces joined on top by welding them together. Most wheelers I've run with loosen these straps to promote flex but that's just my experience and on its own doesn't solve your clunking problem.

Again, I say grease the leafs. Don't believe me, search "spring clunk"

U-bolts were torqued properly. I used a coolant hose clamp to tighten up the side to side movement in the front of each front axle spring. Actually helped quite a bit, but I don't know how long it will last. Unfortunately I ran out of clamps. I'm going to see if adding another clamp on the rear will get rid of the clunk all together.

From what I undersand about leaf springs in general, I thought you are not supposed to oil or grease them. Won't dirt and sand collect in the grease and increase the wear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom