This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Has anyone replaced their tensioner pulley without purchasing the whole tensioner assembly? Toyota parts counter doesn't have a separate number for that pulley. It's not terribly expensive ($105) for the assembly, but it does look like a hassle to change the whole bracket - probably have to remove the alternator. So, I'm just wondering if anyone has found an aftermarket option for just the pulley?

TensionerPulley-No4.JPG

Yes, but a couple caveats.

I used a Gates 36174 which is the same as the lower idler pulley. The bolt is LH thread and being a Gates pulley is important because there is a sleeve that has to be removed to fit the tensioner if I remember correctly. The caveat is that the belt rides right on the edge of the pulley because the spacing isn't perfect but 10k miles later its been fine. After an unexpected dip in a mud puddle all the pulleys started growling and/or seizing up so I had to replace them in an Oreilys parking lot and a complete tensioner replacement wasn't feasable.

So if someone was in a pinch and needed to replace all pulleys:
36173 for both upper idlers
36174 for the lower and tensioner (remove sleeve and reuse old bolt)

I ordered a couple of the $6 cheapies off Rockauto to carry for spares and they dont have an easily removable sleeve like the Gates one to be used as a tensioner pulley.

Seemed like the right way to do it wrong.. on a saturday.. in BFE western NC :hillbilly:

I bought the whole assembly and did a pulley swap.. that was About 8yrs ago or so

Yeah, I just got the assembly this weekend. I plan to just swap the pulley on it. I don't think the tensioner spring is failing on mine, just the pulley bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom