Suspension seat travel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Billyfj7312ht

Should only take ten minutes
Threads
I am trying to work out how much travel (bounce) is in suspension seats when set to your correct weight?
I have put mine on concrete, sat on it and bounced up an down and seem to only get 25mm. ( I am 86KG)
My seats are second hand so unsure if this is correct? at the moment I have an allowance of 40mm of downwards movement after I sit on them, it would be a hassle to adjust my build now....but would be worse if I had to start cutting more out after paint.
Any help would be much appreciated.

The nut in the foreground moves down 25mm when bounce up and down.
Seat bounce.jpg

Btw.....While I was doing my research and development on the shed veranda my wife drove past shaking her head as I was bouncing up and down mimicking driving, so keep the comments clean please as I will have to show her this thread to justify my actions.

Billy
The handle on the seat winds in and out adjusting for weight. Does you suspension base have this red pointer and weight sticker.

suspension seats 003.JPG

My suspension base winding anti clock wise all the way in to it stops. Now 15 1/2 turns clock wise is set for 86kg. I can wind it 22 turns before it stops or get very tight to wind in but that's around 125 kg or the pointer is just past 100 kg.

I have these in my FJ73 also but never played with the settings. Being a newbie, I don't really understand the benefit of suspension seats vs non-suspension seats.

The dial I have looks a lot like the dial in the picture shared by ozcruiser if memory serves me right.

Texas the suspension is to take the jarring ride that leaf springs can sometime give in the rough but in saying that if there not adjusted correctly they will cause jarring if they bottom out.

Delancy
I can only ask. ;)

Billy
With mine set at 86 kg with my 90 kg body weight it has about 40 mm travel when I dump all my weight but just sitting on them normal I have about the same around 25mm travel up and down. Hope this helps

I had the base on 4 blocks of timber with ply on top off the base. None of the moving parts where making contact to the ground on my test I dropped my body weight down very hard and got around 40mm travel. Don't let my test put you off mate run them they will be fine.

I just put my chairs back in and there is 50mm of space between the nut and the floor rail, with no weight in the chair.
The absorption from my standard seat base would also takes some of the pounding, this is probably why my seat on the suspension base is only moving 25-30mm.
Thanks again

In my FJ73, getting to the back seat is no easy task. Not a lot of room. As I mentioned before I am a newbie so perhaps I have not figured out how to slide them forward properly? I have never been in a cruiser with the fixed based seats so I can't compare.

Texas the suspension is to take the jarring ride that leaf springs can sometime give in the rough but in saying that if there not adjusted correctly they will cause jarring if they bottom out.

Makes sense. I know it was kind of a dumb question and all. I have never felt mine bottom out so I guess I will leave them as-is. The ride isn't really that bad at all.

To the OP, when I get my cruiser back from the shop, I will take a look at the settings and MAYBE tell you how fat I am so you can compare. At least if I tell you in 'kg', it won't sound so bad. ;)

Pics, mate. PICS!!

Susan says you'd have a better chance on the shed floor than when the seats are in the "shoebox" on wheels.
Referring to my car...she can't tell the difference between models." their all from 1975"
Yup.......there's no way I'm convincing my wife now I'm not in some "weird internet auto club".....cue the banjo.

Out of curiosity, do the 70/71/73/74 suspension seats provide as clear an entry/exit to back seat as fixed based?

They are higher so access is hindered. They seem to go forwards the same.

To the OP, when I get my cruiser back from the shop, I will take a look at the settings and MAYBE tell you how fat I am so you can compare. At least if I tell you in 'kg', it won't sound so bad. ;)

Go on....Nobodies listening!!!
Thanks
btw. did you always have the canopy ?

Yeah, I always had it. Supposedly a factory option on South American FJ73. I am not seeing many of them on here though.

The canopy can be bought from Toyota Japan, I bought a replacement canopy for mine (not cheap) because I don't know how long they last and I was afraid it would be obsolete at some point.

Last edited:
Hello,

It might seem obvious, but make sure the suspension is unlocked before measuring. There is a locking lever on the front.

The 25 - 30 mm you mention is normal, provided the lever is on the Unlocked position.

The seat will lock if you attempt to measure with the lever in the Locked position. Unlock, push the seat downwards and it will release.

Crank until you get to your weight and lock it. I am 89 kg and, once locked, the seat moves less than 25 mm.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom