Superwinch Albright Solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
I recently had my Warn Series 12 winch let me down while very stuck in a mud hole. Two and a half years ago I splurged and bought the upgraded solenoid (like the one here: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=19613&cat=300&page=1 )

I did this to make sure that my winch was there for me when I really needed it. Well, the solenoid failed and let me down the first time that I needed it for myself (it only had about three pulls on it total on other people and nothing very strenuous). I am bummed because I am not aware of any warranty from Summit Racing and I probably don't have the receipt anyways.

Now, the question is, do I assume that this was just a bad solenoid and this is not the norm and pluck down $110 for another one, or do I go in a different direction?

What say you mud?

Smitty

Assuming that you tried jumping the motor directly with jumper cables (bypassing the contactor)? That would eliminate the possibility of a motor failure rather than the contactor itself. Just making sure. The contactors are in theory much more reliable than solenoids because they have no mechanical (moving) parts, but I guess it's possible to get a bad one right out of the box. The other thing would be to check and see if that contactor is rated for the maximum amperage draw at start-up of your 12-series winch. I'm using one just like it with a 9.5XP motor on an 8274 winch, but your 12-series could draw a lot more amps I'm thinking.

Assuming that you tried jumping the motor directly with jumper cables (bypassing the contactor)? That would eliminate the possibility of a motor failure rather than the contactor itself. Just making sure. The contactors are in theory much more reliable than solenoids because they have no mechanical (moving) parts, but I guess it's possible to get a bad one right out of the box. The other thing would be to check and see if that contactor is rated for the maximum amperage draw at start-up of your 12-series winch. I'm using one just like it with a 9.5XP motor on an 8274 winch, but your 12-series could draw a lot more amps I'm thinking.

Hmmm...good question on the amperage draw. I will need to research that one some more.

I did "bench test" the motor with jumper cables and it worked fine in both directions...which was a relief as I didn't want to have to pull the winch off the truck if I didn't have to as these 12k winched ARE NOT light, lol.

I wonder where I can find the average draw if the winch...Google will be my first shot.

Smitty

The contactors are in theory much more reliable than solenoids because they have no mechanical (moving) parts, but I guess it's possible to get a bad one right out of the box.

WHAT?!??! These "contactors" do not have MOSFETs or other form of solid-state gating device. They are sealed multi-pole solenoids. They are termed "contactors" because they have some rudimentary controls and interlocking in them. They very much have moving parts inside.

Here's a cutaway view of the Superwinch: https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/superwinch-90-14452-jpg.613744/
superwinch-90-14452-jpg.613744

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom