Sunroof Drain Confusion (see pics am I in the wrong place)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read all the sunroof drain post I can find and I understand everything in theory for series 100 sunroof leaks. I checked out the drain holes up in the sunroof tracks and they look real clean. I've used compressed air to clean, but what I'm really confused about is these post about going underneath and pulling out the plugs. Many folks say I should be seeing debris / dirt build up that is causing it to not drain. Today I looked underneath and did find a ~1' rubber grommet. I was fully expecting to pull this out and see a bunch of leaves and build up, but all I saw was the black rubber tube running by and insulation foam. All looked well. I also stuck a small screwdriver in the little slots everybody talks about, but nothing really found there and they seem so small I can't imagine heavy build up in those.

Am I in the wrong spot and need to go somewhere else to unclog where the water ends up finally draining out?

Here are pics from the DS and PS.

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

I don't recall drains there. They're more like slits in the metal. Pour some water in the sunroof tub, you'll see the drains.

Wrong spot. They drain out of the seam in the rocker panel. Unless you're block up, doing what camino70 said will show you.

Pour water down the drains, crawl under and when water gets in your eyes you found them.

But the drains drain into the rocker panels. There are slits in the rocker panels to let the water out. Those slits clog. Rocker panel rusts out.

okay...thanks. So poking small tool in all those little slots helps? Seems like any debris is still going to be floating around in there. I'll try poking and clearing up as much as I can in those slits.

Am I on the right track if I do that? I def have all the symptoms of clogs sunroof drain lines so trying to end this water falling on me and really bad fogged up windows.

There is no real good way to clear the drain slits, I think I used the garden hose and sprayed into one of the slits with the truck on ramps, all the sand ran out and I did this until it was clear water.
But once the rust hole appeared I was able to do it through the rust hole.

Pour water down your drains, watch is drain out the bottom. Do this twice a year to keep them clear.
I also used compressed air to clear mine when they were clogged. Worked for me. Air. Rinsed. Done.

My forward drains weren’t visible with the running boards on and the rears are in the wheel wells. Agree with above, pour some water in the tray. Once you locate the drain holes, compressed air and trimmer line should clear it out.

thanks guys. I read a lot of these same tricks. Sounds like I've just ID the wrong area underneath. I'll try again this week.

so I just tested this out and didn't really get far. Here is what I did/found:
1) poured water down front drain holes on both DS and PS
2) water came out really clean with no issues / no debris / clogs

I did NOT pour water in rear drain holes. It was cold out and I was hurrying and forgot about them.

Here is what I experience:
1) I get water falling on my head after a rain storm on both DS and PS
2) Does seem to fog up / humid inside cabin more than normal
3) see a little water on PS floor board from time to time

What do you think I should look into next to keep water from falling in on my head?

Check the sunroof seal. I think I mentioned this in another very recent thread about dripping water as well...

Spray the top of your truck down real good with water, open your sunroof shade, remove the 4 black trim pieces on the bottom of the sunroof glass and see if there's water either at the back center of the sunroof assembly or in the 4 black trim pieces. If there is then your sunroof seal needs to be replaced. This was my issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom