Stoney Lonesome - Tomorrow Nov 14th - Who's coming? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In case anyone missed it buried in the "let's wheel" thread from earlier, there is a ride tomorrow at Stoney Lonesome. Meet up at the Jack's at I-65 exit 299 at 9:00 am.

Who's coming? I will be there and am bringing my three year old. She hasn't been wheeling since the cruiser crawl a year ago, so she is ready to go.

I'm in.

I'll be there

If I can drag myself outta bed early enough to get to exit 299 by 9. 2 hour drive.

If I can drag myself outta bed early enough to get to exit 299 by 9. 2 hour drive.

I'll pm you my phone number so you can call if you want to come late. Hopefully someone else without Sprint will send theirs too, since I might not have service. CB channel four once we are there if you have a cb.

cell phone coverage is spotty just west of Dodge City (where Jacks is) all the way west on 69 until you are closer to Jasper... So the Cold Springs area (where stoney Lonesome is) is not so great for cell phone coverage. I use verizon.

Hey, I am running late, leaving 15 -20 min....I'll call from the road.

good time. may post a few pics up later if John will email them to me.
I see where a ride is getting setup for Dec 12 time frame at Skyline...that should be good, I'm on for that too.

Where's the post/info on the Dec 12 ride at Skyline? Had good time today wheeling and meeting you guys.

Where's the pics

I did not take many pics. Here's what I have.
SL Ride 2009.JPG
SL Ride 2009.2.JPG
IMG_1406.1.jpg

Awesome turnout it appears!
So everything wasn't too wet? Was there more than just that hill there?

We have only found one more place like that but we didn't make it there saturday. Its a big park with a lot of trails, but the maps suck and the trail levels are poorly marked. Thier system consist of "extreme", "advanced" and "beginner" and you never really know what you are getting into (some advanced trails were way easier than beginner). We only did one extreme trail and really I wouldn't have called it extreme (a steep wet down hill that made me feel like i had traded my cruiser in on a sled). There are a lot of "extreme" trails that we didn't see so there may be challenging stuff out there. I think it needs more exploring before I decide what kind of park it is. I found one trail that looked like they had been dumping rock and letting them settle in. If they continue that, it may become much better. I know one thing though, that place loves to eat fender flares (though I think I'm the only one in our group that has them).

On another note Dec 12 at Skyline seems like al ot of fun, that could be another chance for all of us to get together.

Last edited:
It was wet, but not too much. I didn't get to ride as much as I would have liked, my daughter got a little too scared on the Turkey Hill climb(pictured) and didn't want to ride anymore. We tried going up one hill in that same area and only made it about 3/4 of the way up before she started screaming, so we turned around and went back to the BBQ area.

I can tell that there is more out there, we just haven't had a chance to get there yet. The first trail we took on Sat. ended up at a gnarly off-camber hill climb that wound around trees the whole way up. It would probably be doable for a locked rig, but I don't know if you could back down if you didn't make it up. It was covered in leaves and didn't look like anyone had tried it in a while.

The maps are terrible, but there is obviously a steep set of trails at the back of the 500 jeep trails, no one from our group has made it back there that I know of. I was heading there on Sat. but we ran into the above mentioned hill, and by the time we turned back most of the group wanted to head back to the Turkey hill area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom