steering knuckle service tutorial needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm planning ahead for the long and messy job of a front end service on my 93 with ABS, and since this is my first time, I'm reading up on all the tips and tricks. I've got a steering knuckle rebuild kit on order and I'm stocking up on gloves and wipes! I've searched and I know it's out there, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive picture or video tutorial on the process. Where do I look? Thanks in advance.

Search and find/purchase Jim's rebuild DVD..

Some videos on YouTube provide inaccurate information and Jim's video is very detailed.

Get a field service manual if you don't have it.

The link to the rebuild in here is very detailed and also outlines tools needed and some most part numbers.

John

Search and find/purchase Jim's rebuild DVD.. Some videos on YouTube provide inaccurate information and Jim's video is very detailed. Get a field service manual if you don't have it. The link to the rebuild in here is very detailed and also outlines tools needed and some most part numbers. John

FSM download...

got the job done! Thanks to all those who gave advice :cheers: Everything went fairly well, although I did have a couple problems which I had to deal with:

On one spindle the internal bushing that rides up against the short shaft of the birfield had needles missing... not sure how that happened :bang: Anyway, had to order a replacement from Toyota for $150 and wait a few days. Not easy to replace (had to torch it out) and I hated waiting, But I figured better to fix it right!

Secondly, both my axle shafts had wear in the typical seal location, and again, I didn't feel right putting them back in like that only to wear out the new seals prematurely. Also, I wasn't convinced about Marlin seals. So I took the shafts to my local machine shop, where they welded and re-machined to a perfect surface again. $80 and 3 more days wait. But I was pretty pleased with the results. I would highly recommend that if you can find a place that does the work.

happy to be back on the road again! :popcorn:

The needle bearing on the spindle indicates somebody replaced one spindle at some point. New spindles come with needle bearings. Old ones had a brass bushing.

The needle bearing on the spindle indicates somebody replaced one spindle at some point. New spindles come with needle bearings. Old ones had a brass bushing.

Wouldn't the original spindles have needle bearings as well? Both mine had needles, but who knows, maybe both were replaced at one time. The new bushing I got from Toyota is solid brass, so I can see how that comes as a replacement part. Nonetheless, it helps explain the difference. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom