steering knuckle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to rebuild the steering knuckles and I've read a lot if not all the post about them and I didn't notice anything about the wheel bearings. Should I change these while I them apart? They arnt making any noise. This is my first 60 and have no idea.

Im going to start mine soon.I would definitely change the wheel bearings out,then you know you're good to go for another 100k.Get the marlin axle seals for peace of mind!And a 52mm socket

Bought the seals there but ordered the 52mm from Sears. Shipping was cheaper. I need to order the wheel bearings. At Marlin it says 45.00 per side. Is that correct?

you can reuse your bearings..... so long as the races are clean and the bearings are still good. just repack them. save yourself $100

ahhhh, this is a fun project....get some toilet paper for the cleanup.

What I would take a good look at is the rotors. Since everything will be apart anyway now is a good time to replace them if you need to.

Tony

I have over 200k on my wheel bearings. As long as they have been well taken care of they will last the life of the cruiser. But with a lot of us they are neglected. When talking to Marlin he says even cheep bearings set up properly will last a long time.

I just figured why you were in there,but a 100 bucks is a 100 bucks.That is good to know and I am glad I held on to the last set I replaced at 109K
DSCN0812.jpg

I just did mine. Got the kit from Cruiser Outfitters, it included all the seals and the bearings for $175. I also got the lifetime wiper seals $35 from Longfield super axles and replaced the pads $30 rotors $25 a piece and studs $2 a piece while I was in there. $315 for peace of mind.

Good stuff! I ordered the wheel bearings from Marlin to be on the safe side. Whats the deal with these studs? Why should I replace these?

If you replace the brake rotors you have to remove the wheel studs. Once they are out, you might as well put in new ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom