steering drama after body lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone got any info on how to modify the steering coloum on a fj40 after a body lift, if anyone has any info or a site that has any info or even a 4wd shop that sells the extension bar (better still if it was in australia) would be great. cheers nick

I did about a 2 inch body lift on mine and had the same problem. First to fix the angle took a sawsall to the fire wall and cut out about an inch above where the hole for the steering column originally was, drilled new holes and put in new bolts. To fix the length took steering wheel off of column and the last spacer before the steering shaft I cut in half, gave me about an inch, inch and a half. from there it fit perfectly and works great. Sorry no pictures. Also try this site for body lift stuff, I got the link from this site and heard good things about it. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml#FAQ5

it's a little bit mickey mouse but you can also add a spacer under your steering box 3/4 inch and longer bolts i did this on one of my first trucks just pulled out the mounting studs and put in longer bolts. eventually removed all that stock stuff and switched to sag. power steering .

spacer

i'll give the spacer idea a go first, manly cause i don't like the idea of cutting more holes in my firewall. The cruiser is having a bit of a ground up rebuild after some good adventures off road, i'll post some picks when i'm finished.

I have a 2" body lift and just went with full hydro instead of messing around with making it work. :D :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom