Spinning Front Shaft in 2WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josey1972

SILVER Star
Threads
Hope you are all have fun at the Flatnasty. Weather hasn't been too bad. I got the mini out and drove it today and the front drive shaft is spinning despite having the hubs unlocked. One of the guys in my shop complex told me about it when I drove by him today. Not sure if its doing it all speeds. Seems that I need to check the shifters and make sure they are where they need to be and then maybe pull the boot and see if it spins at all speeds or not? With the front auto locker etc. there is so much noise that I would haven't noticed. Thoughts appreciated.

Maybe front lockouts not completely unlocking? Had this issue with a chevy, had to clean and rebuild the lock out and it worked fine.
I parked on a steep hill, left the transmission in gear and put the transfer in neutral, as truck rolls it eliminates any drive from the transfer and let's you know the turning is coming from the axle.

Maybe front lockouts not completely unlocking? Had this issue with a chevy, had to clean and rebuild the lock out and it worked fine.
I parked on a steep hill, left the transmission in gear and put the transfer in neutral, as truck rolls it eliminates any drive from the transfer and let's you know the turning is coming from the axle.
Can I figure out the same by lifting up the boot and looking down through the hole as I drive? I read on forms where springs get old and they don't completely disengage as you said.

Just reach down and grab it. There's enough fluid moving in the t-case that it can and often does still spin thr shaft, though usually very slowly. If you can spin it by hand parked its likely fine. If you can't, check the side that stops. You can figure out if it's t-case or hubs real quick.

Reach down and grab it? Fluid? Oh, wait, we are talking about hubs! Thanks for the input. Headed to the shop to check that now. I was debating about the pulling the hubs and cleaning them up or maybe replacing them. I'm finding that since this truck spent many years as mostly a trailer truck it didnt show signs of issues until I really started driving it places. Thanks

I'm going to do the simple shot that Joe suggested below. If not then I'm pulling it out, locking and unlocking the hubs and see what happens. If joes advice proves there's more going on then I suppose I'll pull the hubs, and lean them up and check the studs while I'm at it. Thanks again.

Reach down and grab it? Fluid? Oh, wait, we are talking about hubs! Thanks for the input. Headed to the shop to check that now. I was debating about the pulling the hubs and cleaning them up or maybe replacing them. I'm finding that since this truck spent many years as mostly a trailer truck it didnt show signs of issues until I really started driving it places. Thanks

The driveshaft. Just crawl down and see if you can spin it sitting parked. If you can't, and still have the square front shaft, you can determine real fast which end is engaged. Most likely it's fine, if not it's likely a hub. I know for a fact the hubs were fine when Jason had it, but if anyone has taken one appart since they are easy to not put together properly.

[QUOTE="joez, post: 12728393, member:
I know for a fact the hubs were fine when Jason had it, but if anyone has taken one appart since they are easy to not put together properly.
[/QUOTE]
I never had the front axle or hubs apart.

[QUOTE="joez, post: 12728393, member:
I know for a fact the hubs were fine when Jason had it, but if anyone has taken one appart since they are easy to not put together properly.
I never had the front axle or hubs apart.
[/QUOTE]
I figured it out. I must have nudged the shifter back while doing some wiring.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom