Soon in market for 100 series...some questions.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bear Lake Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings everyone from the 40 and 60 world. I am moving into the market and I want to acquire a 100 series. I love the my 40 and my 60 but I need the 8 cylinders and some additional comfort for the old bones. I am looking at a couple in the Salt lake city area over the weekend before I hit the airport and don't have a ton of time to read through all the FAQ and other threads as I am on a working road trip.

Other than the usual things that somebody would look at on any vehicle when they go to purchase, are there some things on the 100 series specifically that should be asked about and verified? A particular year or manufacturing era that seems to have the best of all worlds? I see many concerns about the 90K timing belt and associated parts while in there on that.

My intentions would to use this more as a daily driver than my 40 and 60...nothing wrong with them but some power and an auto trans are nice for certain applications that the other cruisers can't provide.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The thing about 90k maintence is that it cost most money to do. Other then that pretty solid truck. Depend on miles. Would check axle seals and stuff like that cause cost a lot to replace if you are not doing it yourself.

The Slee info is awesome. Once you read through the model year changes, decide what features you would really like and what your budget allows.

Then the fun begins!

Look up SWUTAH on here - he has an '05 LX that you can eat off the undercarriage and I believe he removed the AHC as well. Not sure if it's currently for sale, but he's in AZ and so are you!

I could sell my sweet 40 to pay for it...............................NOT!
Thanks for info, guys

It's been really beat to death on here, but the big things I look at when shopping for a 100 are to of course check the maintenance record, check if starter & ignition replaced (on older ones), check CV boots & power steering rack & system for leaks, valve cover leaks, make sure major drivetrain functions work, make sure and if the windshield has been replaced was it done properly, it has AHC check gradations on resevoir and pay attention to ride quality.

Those are the big things in my opinion, that could lead you to spend soon after purchase.

I'm pretty new to the world of the 100 series, but I can share what little info I've learned here, and from working at a car dealership.

First, depending on where you live, don't listen to what anyone from the south or west says about an acceptable amount of rust. Those guys never see rust and panic at even tiny amounts. Here in the northeast, even plastic rusts a bit. We deal with it. Rotting is bad, rust can be dealt with. The body souldn't be rusting, but in my area, the undercarriage will have rust.

Second, in all reality, the LC/LX are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. But if you only read forums, you'll see a lot of problems. Well, that because people only post when they have problems. And, people frequenting forums are only a small percentage of total owners. What I'm getting at is even though no one ever posts "hey guys, just wanted to let you know my Landcruiser is still running great", the vast majority of them are. According to most sources, Toyota/Lexus make the most reliable vehicles on the road. And, the LX/LC maybe the most reliable models made by the most reliable brand. That's not biased fanboy talk.

Third, it seems to me as a newbie that the AHC thing is mostly blown out of proportion. If you search this forum for "AHC", I'd wager you'd find far more posts from people worried about the AHC than from people actually having problems with it. As long as it's taken care of, it seems to have a very good chance of lasting a very long time. If/when it does fail, you can replace it with non-AHC suspension.

Fourth, Timing belt. This does need to be done. But it needs to be done on virtually any timing belt equipped vehicle by 90,000 miles. In fact, I can't prove it, but I seem to remember some of my cars in the past needing it at 60,000 mile intervals. So, yea, it's a possible expense, but not one thats unique to LC/LX.

Fifth, price. Don't bother. In my short time here, one of the most common questions (besides AHC stuff) is "How much should I pay for this..." One member put together a formula that averages asking prices. That took math skills and patience I can't even comprehend. Bottom line is, don't get bogged down it what other people think is a good deal. Get the right vehicle for you at a price you feel the market in your area will bear. If you post a value question here, you'll likely get several answers ranging from "That's a fair price if the timing belt is done" to "That one has AHC, I'd throw garlic and holy water at it and run away" to some guy from Arizona asking what the tiny spot of brown stuff is on the corner of a bumper bracket. In my area, they don't come up for sale often. It's not like shopping for a Honda Civic or a Jeep where theres one for sale on every street corner. When you find one that looks decent, check whats for sale on Cars.com, craigslist and wherever else and decide if the seller is asking a fair price. If he is, and you like the vehicle go for it. Again, these are reliable. It's not like Yugo (remember those?) shopping where you have to cross your fingers and hope you get the 1 out of 10 good one. Even a high mileage and beat up LC is likely going to be more reliable than a new Fiat.

Just one new guys opinion.

^ All good points. My only comment would be don't overthink the timing belt. There's evidence on here that it's not an interference motor. It's also well documented that timing belts with 100K miles on them look like new. If you find a nice rig with 125K miles and no record of a timing belt change, use it to negotiate the price, but no need to run away from it.

It absolutely is an interference motor. That's not to say that a broke belt automatically means a bricked engine, but it certainly can cause damage if it breaks at the right time in the cycle. It's sort of a gamble. The belt can break and cause no damage, or it can break and cause all sorts of damage. That said, modern timing belts are insanely durable. They would "probably" go far more than 90,000 miles. In fact, most do. But I'd never recommend trying it.

Another point to potential purchasers looking here, this forum doesn't represent the majority of Landcuiser owners. Not only is this a very small number of them, but in general, a poster here is probably more knowledgeable about Landcruisers than your average owner. Bordering on fanatical. (In a good way) I'd be willing to bet $10 that most Landcruiser owners outside of internet forums don't even know the belt needs replaced. Or even what a timing belt is. This group is more knowledgeable than even your average dealer tech. The sad but very true fact is, there's not a ton of LC/LX's out there compared to other vehicles. Even a busy Lexus shop may only see one or two LX's a month. If that. So while we discuss, debate and document every little detail of these trucks, most of them are just happily taking the kids to soccer practice day in and day out without a second though about the AHC or timing belt.

^we have at least 5-7 weekly at my shop. This is just 100s.

I would check for leaks. Radiator, heater hose t's, cv boot, steering rack boots, any drivetrain leaks under body.

Go on a nice test drive and see if theres any humming knockng abnormal noises.

Its just like anything on the road it has 4 wheels that spin and you throw money at it to keep it up.

Thank you all. I have had belts let go on interference motors. Result=Dead vehicle. this is why i asked that question. I am looking at one in SLC that hopefully has all the miles just running kids around to soccer practice and picking up groceries. (however the same miles on strictly highway driving would be preferable) I have yet to see it in person but that will happen on sunday. Internet pictures show immaculate interior but pictures are just pictures. I have yet to see pictures off all the undercarriage and engine bay. It has high mileage in the 190K range but is quite reasonably priced, I paid more than what they asking for my 60 series. If it looks and drives decent i will probably spend the couple of hundred to have it professionally inspected. There has been a right front minor collision but no airbag deployment. The paint panels and finish will get a very hard look. Pictures look great but well......just pics. Even I look half way decent in pictures! Taking along a floor jack and jackstands so i can roll around under it and look at much of what you all have mentioned.
Thanks again.

BTW, no time to search, gotta run to a meeting but what is the AHC device or system?

I'm pretty new to the world of the 100 series, but I can share what little info I've learned here, and from working at a car dealership.

Fifth, price. Don't bother. In my short time here, one of the most common questions (besides AHC stuff) is "How much should I pay for this..." One member put together a formula that averages asking prices. That took math skills and patience I can't even comprehend. Bottom line is, don't get bogged down it what other people think is a good deal. Get the right vehicle for you at a price you feel the market in your area will bear. If you post a value question here, you'll likely get several answers ranging from "That's a fair price if the timing belt is done" to "That one has AHC, I'd throw garlic and holy water at it and run away" to some guy from Arizona asking what the tiny spot of brown stuff is on the corner of a bumper bracket. In my area, they don't come up for sale often. It's not like shopping for a Honda Civic or a Jeep where theres one for sale on every street corner. When you find one that looks decent, check whats for sale on Cars.com, craigslist and wherever else and decide if the seller is asking a fair price. If he is, and you like the vehicle go for it. Again, these are reliable. It's not like Yugo (remember those?) shopping where you have to cross your fingers and hope you get the 1 out of 10 good one. Even a high mileage and beat up LC is likely going to be more reliable than a new Fiat.

Just one new guys opinion.

This is good advice no matter what product one is purchasing. It is about desire and value to the purchaser if the price is fair in their mind once all information is gathered.

I assume you've already Googled it and aren't satisfied? I don't have a reference to quote. I could try to dig something up at work.

I assume you've already Googled it and aren't satisfied? I don't have a reference to quote. I could try to dig something up at work.
There are probably over 1 million of these motors on US roads. Has anybody seen a documented case of piston/valve damage on a 2uz-fe from a broken timing belt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom