Some Body Work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '84 FJ60, it was in a front-end collision just before I bought it (Got a great deal on it because of that :)) Anyway, once I started tearinng into it, it became a little more that I had bargained for (as it usually is) The top of the ps radiator support is bent and I'm having one bitch of a time getting ot straight. I've tried stud welds with a slide hammer with no luck and of course good ol' brute strength to no avail. So, if anyone has any suggestions (Short of removing the whole support) lay it on me my my cruiser brothers.

Find a strong anchor point, and give it hell with a come-along. I picked up a cheap one at Harbor Freight and have used the s*** out of it, for many things that it was probably never designed for.

Sometimes, things like the support have a "memory", so even though you get it straight with the come-along, once you relieve the tension, it may go back slightly. You may have to over extend it to get it to be straight in the end.

Have you tried heating it up slightly, not red hot, but just enough to get it to move easier?

I'm sure someone brighter than me will chime in.

Good luck, Hodag

I should've taken pix...just went thru this on a 60 I bought the same way...tow strap, big assed telephone pole, and a carefully timed tug or two (okay, 10 or more) did the trick for me. You can always drill a hole in the core support for an eye bolt like I did to pull it where ya need it...never took out the core support. Worked out fine, everything straight and correct.

Thanks for all the help guys. It seems the winch/comealong might be the way to go (I've had several people suggest it now.)

moo-chew grassy-ass

I have not taken the front of my 60 apart, however can't you just get a new piece?

Zack

new used core support

Try cruiserparts.net. I had the same/similar thing happen to my '88.
Since I replaced a fender, all you have to do is remove the valance, unbolt fenders,lights,etc. put in a nice core, then everything will line up. Ya try the come along, I just remembered what a pain in the arse that was:mad::beer:

Zack1978 said:
I have not taken the front of my 60 apart, however can't you just get a new piece?

Zack

I could but, it's a heck of a lot cheaper this way.

i used a come along to pull out the front fender on my 76' monte- it did the job, but man you still have to iron out the fender big-time afterwards- that is a pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom