Socket Size for draining the F/R Diffs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim,

>> And if the 24mm bolt is really stubborn, I suppose you <<
>> could just use an impact wrench if you have access <<
>> to one. <<

This sounds good and will work but it's a really bad idea. (Don't ask how I know :G ) It will become clear to you *why* it is a bad idea once you think past the initial stages of the process on through to the end. :tear:
-B-

This is officially post number 20 on the question of what size socket to use to remove a diff plug. Maybe we need to get out more :D

(shameless pad)

Chris,

>> All Pro Off Road sells them for $4 each.  <<

My Toyota dealer sells the OEM hex plugs for less than $2 each. I haven't bought any because I'm like Scott and have had problems with hex plugs stripping. Are the ones you sell made of a harder material or something?  

-B-

The ones we sell are factory Toyota plugs, but they cost us more than $2 each so it may be different. I been running them in my rigs for over 4 years (pickup, 4Runner and cruiser). I got my first set from Marlin Crawler. I find they pull out less often by themselves and are easier to remove after trail damage. I have never stripped one.

Chris,
If you're paying *over* Toyota published list price for those OEM hex plugs then you need to get another dealer. :G

>> and are easier to remove after trail damage. <<

Adding credence to this statement... After one weekend where my spotter was asleep :G and the rear diff spent a few minutes kissing a big rock, the outer ring was bent a little and at the next fluid change it had to be bent back to enable a socket to fit. More severe damage to the ring could have been a big problem. This must be one of the main reasons for using the hex plugs.

-B-

-B-
Was that the day you balanced the rear axle in the air?

BTW I was behind him, and was not "spotting" :G

HE did sorta flop around some....... ::)

That was also "plastic baggie day" :D

Beo, I was commenting on merely using an impact wrench to remove a stubborn bolt. I always hand torque on the bolts. I guess one disadvantage of using the impact wrench is you can't "feel" how tight the bolt is/was, not to mention you can accidentally apply too much torque (eg, max setting).

Jim,
My response was specific to not using an impact to remove a stubborn drain plug. What could happen (and this is just speculation and not experience speaking here...) is the impact works quite well, the stubborn drain plug comes spinning off, the plug lands in the drain bucket plugging the hole, your arm and your impact are instantly doused with diff fluid, as you're cleaning up the tool the plugged bucket overflows onto the garage floor, your wife comes into the garage to find out what all the commotion is about and slips in the oil, bruising her butt. The angry bruised spouse is unlikely to be receptive to your suggestions for a little hanky panky for the next few weeks as her bruises heal.  

But this is only speculation, I wouldn't have any experience.   :G
-B-

Good speculation Beo. I will file this in my work file in the fluid changing section. Currently though I can dump as much oil as I want. There is no wife here.

Rogue,

In that case the scenario would change a little for you, young Jon, and CruisinGA where the 20# impact slips from your grip and smashes your right hand as it drops to the concrete floor. The rest is about the same if you don't go blind.  :nono:

-B-

:nono: That was wrong! :nono:

:puke:

How about if you go 'til you need glasses? :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back