SOA question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Off Duty

SILVER Star
Threads
Too far from the shoreline, in beautiful WTF Flori
For those who have completed an SOA swap, what issues if any did you encounter for on road driving?

Was talking to a friend the other day and one point he made was the COG....up high....rollover issues?

I'm in Florida (Central part at that) and there's just not a lot of crawling to do. There's a lot of mud, sand, beaches and trails to explore and again, I'll be using it mainly to get to and from camping, fishing and kayaking locations with the grand daughter and wife. Therefore, safety is my 1st consideration.

Asthetics and off roading aside, your thoughts on the matter please?

Thanks. and Happy New Year!:cheers:

IMHO since there doesn't appear to be any benefit for the type of wheeling you do all you would succeed in doing is creating instability, poor road manners for no practical reason.

i agee with front range. a lot of people get soa lifts because it looks cool o just because its the thing to do. if you NEED the lift soa is the way to go, but you need to be in a lot of heavy wheeling to make it worthwhile. the best thing for you i think is to spend the money on a good suspension package (ome is my choice) and get a little lift from that. it should be more then enough for your needs, looks good, and most of all its safe and reliable.

FrontRange, Thanks for your candid and straight up opinion. That's exactly what I was looking for:cheers:

And thanks to everyone in general for the candid responses:cheers:

I'm still fairly new here. Was on as Code Red a while back, but after about 6-7 months without activity, couldn't get logged in:rolleyes:
Decided to just change the SN and start over!:lol:

(Sent someone a PM with this info but haven't heard back? If someone knows who to contact could you please PM me? I'd like to merge the 2 into this one if possible?)

From what I can see, you folks seem to be the best and most active LC group on the net! Most of the other boards are failrly slow. Good borads, just not much activity. This one seems full of good information, so thanks to whomever is responsible for putting it and keeping it together!:cheers:

Mel, maybe you misunderstood my question or maybe I wasn't clear?

I'm not saying there's no rock climbing in Florida; however, compared to say, Arizona or Colorado, we just don't have the same terrain.

I'm a native here, and from what I've seen, for the most part (not all), everything we have here on a regular basis, can be accomplished with a moderate to high spring lift in the stock location and larger tires.

There are certainly places that an SOA would benefit one, but these are more purpose designed trails and in some cases properties that have been developed specifically for that type of driving:clap:

The purpose for my vehicle is: (in no specific order)

1- Carry grand daughter, wife and friends/family to the water for kayaking, fishing and the woods for camping and sightseeing.

2- Get through (for work, medical or other necessary reasons) when the weather goes to he!! and the roads flood and trees come down.*

3- Rescue and Recovery services via one of the many SAR organizations in the area (haven't made up my mind yet)

4- Pulling an airboat/jonboat or flats style boat for either pleasure or SAR.

Jesse- I have the OME Dakar lift currently. GIves me about 3" of lift and clears my 33x12.5 Goodyear Wranglers with no problem.

I'll post some pics when I get a minute.

*As a retired LEO and former Coastie, SAR is still in my blood.
A few years back in L/E, we used our privately owned 4x4's to get to and through flooded areas after some storms. We used them for high water rescue and recovery/evac, and to patrol areas otherwise inaccessible by conventional law enforcement vehicles.
There's also a local airboat SAR group that works through FEMA made up of active, retired, and former LEO's along with some civillian personnel. They've been active in the past, seem to have decent training and equiptment and seem pretty squared away.

There's also several CERT organizations including one, belive it or not, through my church!:D

Years back (in my 20's) I was with a senior squadron of CAP (USAF aux). The adult squadron here in Tampa is fairly active and has as I understand it, a ground rescue unit.

As a former Coastie, the USCGaux is a possiblity as well.
I love the water and enjoyed my time with the guard. It's really more a matter of where I can be of most use?

And Mel, I agree with you. If I were going to go do serious crawling, or even competitive mudding, here in Florida, I'd be looking at an SOA too.:clap:Good luck on the build.

Thanks again folks. I'll have many more questions as the planning for the build progresses:cheers:

Anyone in or near Tampa that wants to get together some time to talk cruisers, share notes or a :beer:and some food, let me know. If I'm in town I'm always up for such gatherings.:cheers:

G

I did my SOA a few years back, and aside from the lack of power my rig has, I love it even on the street. I dont hot rod my rig and try to take tuns at excessive speeds either. The only time that I really feel the COG increase is on the trail on side hill obstacles, and even that has proven more stable than I would have though.
However, pros and cons aside, it sounds as if an SOA conversion may be a bit overkill for the type of wheelin you do primarily. SOA's are an expensive mod, and there are some potential safety issues (welding primarily) that come into play when an SOA is done.
For basic fire roads with occasional rocks...a nice spring lift will serve you well. SOA is better suited for more agressive trails where articulation and clearance is needed.
Ill also add that my 62 in NOT my DD either, so take that into consideration.

Good luck and post up what you decide to run.

Chicago

Time and money maybe better spent on lockers, extended breathers, and a snorkel???

I've been sprung over for years now and I don't feel there is any instability when compared to be SUA. No matter how the vehicle is set up, if you are cruising down the highway at a good clip and need to make a sudden lane change, you're screwed either way. I can drive all day at 75 mph in my SOA+OME 62 and I never feel out of control. That being said, braking distances have increased due to running 35" and taller tires. Of course, that can be remedied, but $$$ starts adding up post spring over. Now you are running 35's, so you'll probably want to regear, lock it up, runner the 4Runner calipers, etc.

In my opinion, there are two things to consider in your situation. First is that when looking at your needs, like others have mentioned, a SOA would be overkill. Second is that if you are really going to transport other people, getting in and out of a 60 series that is sprung over gets annoying. I don't mind it personally, but my wife HATES "climbing" in and "falling" out. Getting into the rear seat is a PITA and I've actually had friends twist their ankles attempting to get out of the back as they misjudge the distance from the floorboard to the ground (coupled with the awkward squeeze required to get out). It would be the most difficult for young kids or the elderly.

Just a couple things to think about.

If you build it well and strong it handles just fine on the street. Versus my old stock FJ55, I would say it was a noticable improvement. The key is build it strong and as low as possible.

I've been sprung over for years now and I don't feel there is any instability when compared to be SUA. No matter how the vehicle is set up, if you are cruising down the highway at a good clip and need to make a sudden lane change, you're screwed either way. I can drive all day at 75 mph in my SOA+OME 62 and I never feel out of control. That being said, braking distances have increased due to running 35" and taller tires. Of course, that can be remedied, but $$$ starts adding up post spring over. Now you are running 35's, so you'll probably want to regear, lock it up, runner the 4Runner calipers, etc.

In my opinion, there are two things to consider in your situation. First is that when looking at your needs, like others have mentioned, a SOA would be overkill. Second is that if you are really going to transport other people, getting in and out of a 60 series that is sprung over gets annoying. I don't mind it personally, but my wife HATES "climbing" in and "falling" out. Getting into the rear seat is a PITA and I've actually had friends twist their ankles attempting to get out of the back as they misjudge the distance from the floorboard to the ground (coupled with the awkward squeeze required to get out). It would be the most difficult for young kids or the elderly.

Just a couple things to think about.

OOOOH yeah...
Its always fun after a night of "SPIRITS" to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee if you sleep in the back of the rig.
It IS quite a long drop when your not ALL there.

Chicago

The most bang for the buck in my opinion is a good set of OME springs with 33" tires and spring under. It's not the coolest looking rig on the road, but it's possibly the most functional. I do reccomend relocating the shackle mounts, move them 1.5 or 2 inches inboard and use a longer shackle. It improves ride quality and articulation and it prevents shackle inversion which can happen with OME springs and stock shackles. Changing your gear sets to 4.10s for FJ60s, (4.56s for FJ62s) will help with the 33" tires. That's the combination that I ran for the longest time and I had tons of reliable, capable fun with the beast. An H55F should be next on the list of Best Mods.

:steer:There are rocks if you know where to look, do a search on google for "North Florida Cruiserheads" Join the forum and rocks ye shall find! ARRRRRGGG
For those who have completed an SOA swap, what issues if any did you encounter for on road driving?

Was talking to a friend the other day and one point he made was the COG....up high....rollover issues?

I'm in Florida (Central part at that) and there's just not a lot of crawling to do. There's a lot of mud, sand, beaches and trails to explore and again, I'll be using it mainly to get to and from camping, fishing and kayaking locations with the grand daughter and wife. Therefore, safety is my 1st consideration.

Asthetics and off roading aside, your thoughts on the matter please?

Thanks. and Happy New Year!:cheers:

:steer:There are rocks if you know where to look, do a search on google for "North Florida Cruiserheads" Join the forum and rocks ye shall find! ARRRRRGGG

I know where the rocks are:cheers: but I don't want to travel all over the state (and outside) looking for them:lol:.

I'm already a member on Cruiserheads.:D

Crawling is not the intended use for the truck, thus my reason for asking. Thanks anyway and maybe one day I'll hit some rocks with you guys:cheers:

Thanks

The most bang for the buck in my opinion is a good set of OME springs with 33" tires and spring under. It's not the coolest looking rig on the road, but it's possibly the most functional. I do reccomend relocating the shackle mounts, move them 1.5 or 2 inches inboard and use a longer shackle. It improves ride quality and articulation and it prevents shackle inversion which can happen with OME springs and stock shackles. Changing your gear sets to 4.10s for FJ60s, (4.56s for FJ62s) will help with the 33" tires. That's the combination that I ran for the longest time and I had tons of reliable, capable fun with the beast. An H55F should be next on the list of Best Mods.

Thanks.

That's what I'm running currently:cheers:

I'm planning a swap to the H55f even prior to the Vortec. Heck, I can put up with slow, but I wanna row:lol::cheers:

Even though it's a 62 (1989), with the 5 speed swap, what ratio do you suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom