Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have the Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder?

http://www.smittybilt.com/docs/new_products/SB_News_2012_JERRY_GAS_CAN_HOLDER_v2.pdf

I'd like to know how it is attached to the vehicle.

Dont have it and would never put one on a spare tire.
But by the looks of it, probably off the 3 lugs on the spare via extension or something.

The door is only rated for 300lbs if I remember correctly. And I think that's including the weight of the door. So adding that along with a larger spare might be pushing it. Looks cool though. I've seen a coupleof guys here do 2.5 gal rotopacks off the spare tire mounting bolts though.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/la-louisia...ou-do-your-kreweser-today-35.html#post7634123

I think they fabbed up the bracket to hold the cans.

I like the idea but like others said, there is already so much weight on the door I do not want to add more. Some people have the M-Pac racks full of gear, a heavy off road tire ect... my shock for the rear door is shot already :frown:

123ROBERTELEE said:
Some people have the M-Pac racks full of gear, a heavy off road tire ect... my shock for the rear door is shot already :frown:

I fall into this crowd and will attest to the detriment on the rear door assembly.

For a swingout, the additional weight would probably be ok, but wouldn't add anymore to the rear door, especially cantilevered aft off the spare mount. The door skin itself flexes with just my spare.

I've been running this set up for years without issue. I have seen inside the rear door and its very robust. I also wheeled all of my Moab trip with a full five gallons in the Blitz can with out issue. The only problem I have had is the mount itself developing stress cracks from shaking and flexing. My buddy welded in some reinforcement plate and its now tighter and stronger. I modified the plate from a jeep part number and welded it to the spare carrier. Now I am hauling one of those Rampage Tool boxes that look like a Blitz can.

As a bonus, people seem to tailgate a lot less when they think they will cause an explosion if they hit you.

As a bonus, people seem to tailgate a lot less when they think they will cause an explosion if they hit you.

You are giving the tailgaters way too much credit, there is no thinking going on in those vehicles.

I agree that I wouldn't add the additional weight to my spare tire carrier, but I've got 2 of these mounted directly to the body of my Pinzgauer and they're solid units.
IMG_20120826_114930.jpg

I agree that I wouldn't add the additional weight to my spare tire carrier, but I've got 2 of these mounted directly to the body of my Pinzgauer and they're solid units.

That thing is awesome, never seen one, but I googled them. Amazing!

The door is only rated for 300lbs if I remember correctly. And I think that's including the weight of the door. So adding that along with a larger spare might be pushing it. Looks cool though. I've seen a coupleof guys here do 2.5 gal rotopacks off the spare tire mounting bolts though.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/la-louisia...ou-do-your-kreweser-today-35.html#post7634123

I think they fabbed up the bracket to hold the cans.

I believe that I am one of the guys Trab is refering to. The picture shown in the link above is dockbox and his cans are actually attached to a swingout not the back door. I had my mount fabbed up and attached to my rear door tire carrier. It can hold one 3 gallon or two 2 gallon Rotopax. I currently only use it to hold my Rotopax storage box with some recovery gear so the weight gain is not substantial, 10lbs max maybe. I am not having any rear door issues yet but I have only been running this set up for about 8 months.
Mount 1.JPG

Mount 2.JPG

rear end c.jpg
Mount 1.JPG
Mount 2.JPG
rear end c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom