Smittybilt Gen2 winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had an XRC 8 on my jeep for about 5 years... Slow, noisy, sounded like it was going to explode.. So,,, I tore it down, cleaned all the gears, and put some good marine grade lithium grease in there, then checked all the electrical connections.. the grease made a big difference in cold weather doing a line pull, and a bit less noisy.. I just finished servicing my XD 9000I.. New solenoids and cleaned and lubed all the gears... The difference in quality is nothing short of astonishing.

I had an XRC 8 on my jeep for about 5 years... Slow, noisy, sounded like it was going to explode.. So,,, I tore it down, cleaned all the gears, and put some good marine grade lithium grease in there, then checked all the electrical connections.. the grease made a big difference in cold weather doing a line pull, and a bit less noisy.. I just finished servicing my XD 9000I.. New solenoids and cleaned and lubed all the gears... The difference in quality is nothing short of astonishing.

Ok mudders, I need advise...
I bought my LX450 a year and a half ago with an 1st gen XD 9000i winch on it...as it was extraordinarily noisy, I never used it, knowing it was time to pull it apart.... Yesterday I tore it down, and sure enough the gearbox was dry... I pulled all the gears cleaned, lubed and put everything back together.. I also installed four new solenoids as one of the originals was sticking.. I photoed the wiring in three stages, so all wiring was correct.. I washed the synthetic line, put everything back together. Spool in spool out, wha la! Everything worked. Sooooo, I decided to do a proper line pull,, spooled out, hooked up to a tree, and as soon as it loaded up, fried the motor....

Well then. So much for that.

Yeah,, how bout it? It's obvious now that the POs never once serviced the 9000i.. I've decided to start over from scratch and just ordered a new Superwich,, I'll be giving it regular service so it should last a very long time....

Did I ever mention the time I pulled a mostly sank dually cummins 3500 out of a swamp while anchored to a unimog using my xrc8?

Or the time I pulled a 7.3 excursion out of a mudhole, buried to the running boards using my xrc8? Or that same idiot out of the snow when he blew up his dana 50?

I made quite a few long hard pulls with that xrc8. And plenty of short easier pulls. Never once balked at me or gave me any trouble. Pulled myself out a ton and a dozen other people over 4 years, only siliconed the solenoids and changed the grease when it was new. Sold it with the truck or id be running it today.

Er, no, you never did mention it... Winches, in general, are very basic machines. Sure, some are built with tighter tolerances than others, or are a lot faster than others, or draw a lot more or less amps, and some are loaded up with sales pitch gizmology, and some even look really cool, but all in all, it's a set of gears driven by a motor, or hydraulic pump.. The Chinese winches get a lot of grief based solely upon import predjudice.. I'm old enough to recall how Japanese made products took a horrible bashing. Those damned Toyotas and Hondas were horrible

So I'd estimate that loaded with armor and spare and fuel Im probably 8000 lbs maybe more (cummins, np205, tons, 40s)

XRC 9.5 -300$

Superwinch Tigershark 9500 350$

XRC 12 -400$

Be nice to have that extra pulling ability. But I am on a budget. Be nice to have that superwinch quality and support but I had an exellent experience with an early xrc8 and the xrc 9.5 has better line speed than the superwinch.

My landcruiser is a heavy beast... I just don't know.

If your rig weighs 8K then shouldn't you be looking for a 12K+ winch?

supposedly...

Worth it to have the extra 2500 lbs over the superwinch and not have the 'better brand' and pay more?

I'm stretching my budget with all the other little s*** I have to buy. Cruiser is nickle and diming me to death. So cheaper is better... Thus my dilema.

9500 should be good for 6,000 lb rig, but still, if you're on a budget with an 8000lb rig, get the 9500 and use a pulley block to double your pulling power.. My rig, with trailer is up around 7500 and I'll be using the pulley block every time I need to extract.. I just finished installing my new winch,, did away with original solenoid control box, and mounted a retro box up top.. ( they gave me the remote box )
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421773585.893226.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421773609.432565.jpg

As long as your anchor point is less than 50' away?
If that's all you have is a tree strap or plow, then yes.. My extract kit includes a 50ft extension, 2 20foot straps, the block, and 4 or 5 shackles, so I can reach approx 140 feet if need be.. Never had to do that though,, yet..... lots of trees here in the east and out west lots of trees, or big boulders..

You seem prepared! Question: I thought you were not supposed to attach tow straps to winch lines (I understand the 50' is a winch cable extension).

I don't carry the stretch straps, using one of those with a winch would be a disaster.. I've heard the two shouldn't mix, but the one and only time I've done it there was no problem.. I don't think anyone would not mix the two if the anchor point was just out of reach .. Being stuck just isn't an option for us, as we venture into areas where we may not see anyone come along for days...

I was kind of thinking the same thing Don, snatch block...

Still up in the air. If I ever decide, I will let you all know haha.

Many many years ago my wife got a bit upset when I told her we needed to get a snatch block,, she thought I meant chastity belt ;)

In my experience it's pretty rare that you would actually max out your winch and fail to pull you vehicle. Of course I have an 8274 on my trail rig, so it's pretty rare to max out an 8274. I have done it though. And it has 150' of line, so I rarely run out of reach.
Most times when you're stuck, you don't need multiple times the vehicle weight to move the vehicle. Of course it does happen once in a great while, and in that case a snatch block works great. If you are really worried about length you could always carry a spare length of cable.

Ran my 80 across the scales this morning. 6300 lbs with me in it and an almost empty tank of fuel. Add 140lbs of fuel, 100 lbs of sliders?, 100 lbs of winch, 100 lbs of skid plates?, 100 lbs rear bumper and lets say 150 lbs for a spare wheel/tire in the 40" flavor. I figure probably around 7000 lbs then... give or take a few hundred lbs. Add a cooler and camping gear and god knows what else and...

Decided I wouldn't be cheap and just bought the 12,000 lbs XRC. I'm sure I'll post some more info after I use it.

Ran my 80 across the scales this morning. 6300 lbs with me in it and an almost empty tank of fuel. Add 140lbs of fuel, 100 lbs of sliders?, 100 lbs of winch, 100 lbs of skid plates?, 100 lbs rear bumper and lets say 150 lbs for a spare wheel/tire in the 40" flavor. I figure probably around 7000 lbs then... give or take a few hundred lbs. Add a cooler and camping gear and god knows what else and...

Decided I wouldn't be cheap and just bought the 12,000 lbs XRC. I'm sure I'll post some more info after I use it.
Good choice. Keep us updated, w/a review, on your new winch.

Yes, by all means, let all of us subscribed to this thread be the second to know when your new winch explodes into tiny little pieces that impale you're brand new radiator !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom