Ski equipment (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to upgrade my ski gear, boots, poles and a good all-mountain ski for advanced intermediate. Any suppliers you folks can rec for great deals?

www.levelninesports.com - they have quite a few good deals. They have a store front in SLC that I visit a couple times a year. Cool guys that run the shop. - they do sell a lot of HEAD skiis which I really don't like, but that's personal preference.

I would be weary of buying boots without trying them on. IMO boot fit and proper boots for you is the most important item of your gear. It's worth extra time and effort to get that part right before worrying about the right skis etc. - hard to do mail order.

good luck

Check out Evo Gear (www.evo.com) and their outlet page. Their outlet has one or two year old gear (still brand new, just the previous models) for cheap. I just bought my wife a pair of fat skis and bindings for about $400 when the original price for the skis alone was $675.

x2 on what Jetboy says about boots. so worth it to have them fitted properly. makes a world of difference in performance, and more importantly, comfort.

Thank you for the leads. I am pretty leery of buying boots without trying them on, thus I am willing to pay more for the boots. Nothing worse than poor fitting boots! I will check out these suppliers. BTW, I have not bought a pair of skis in 20 years. I am 6ft ,fit and 180lbs and just hit 50. I'm looking for an all mountain ski for an advanced intermediate

Toss that alpine gear and get some telemark skis you will never look back

Tele is so 5 years ago :D

I am sure there is a good boot fitter in Jackson, or if you are in the southern part of Wyoming and don't mind a drive Larry's Bootfitters in Boulder did great work for me and I recommend them. Every ski shop says they do boot fitting but finding a true boot fitter that knows what they are doing can be a challenge.

Where are you going to be skiing, and can you better classify an "advanced intermediate"? What type of skiing do you seek when on the mountain? There are some awesome skis on the market these days but without knowing a little more about what you want it can be tough to make a recommendation.

I would spend some time on this website:
http://blistergearreview.com/ It will help get you up to date, a lot has changed. Some skis worth looking into: DPS, Moment, and ON3P.

:beer:

Many thanks!

As many have said, boots are where to spend the money.

I would suggest trying tele. Its a different form of skiing and it makes green circle runs tough again (when you start out). Also, after I 'got' the tele turn and went back to alpine, my skiing was SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I think that has to do with the balance and weight distribution you learn when you tele. When locking the heel back down, skiing is almost comically easy because you can feel your limits better and the alpine gear is so much more forgiving than tele is.

I still tele, either on groomers or on deep powder days. But when the snow isn't pow, I lock the heel back down and do alpine.

Boots, boots, boots. If you spend $75-100 for a single day lift ticket and your feet hurt so bad you can't ski, $700 for boots that will last for years is really pretty cheap- if you're in the Park City area, call me and I'll put you in touch with some great shops/boot fitters. If you're looking for a real deal on skis, I'd suggest you go back and look at last year's mags and find out what they recommend for your type of skiing. Then go to the ski swaps, ebay, tgr.com, craigslist, etc. and buy the one year old ski that matches your need. Poles etc don't really matter- although, Bryon Freidman(ex US Ski Team member) has a new company selling bamboo poles that rock. Don't get sucked into skis that are more than a couple of years old- newer is definitely better and you can get a pair of 1 year old skis really cheap. TGR.com has the best deals on used equipment.
Pray for Snow:clap::clap:

TGR is good fun, they will eat you alive though and look down on newcomers, especially if you are just there to buy gear for a good deal. Just be forewarned, it's not like mud ;) I have been a member for years and still get the jong treatment.

Do you know what size boots work for you? I have some Garmont Adrenalin's with heat moldable liners I would let a fellow mudder have for $100. They are 27.0/306mm bsl and have a larger volume fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom