School me on Polaris 800 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to trade into a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI 4x4. It has 1800 miles / 860 hours or so. Pictures look pristine. Seller sounds like a good guy and anal about his sh*t. What should i look for or look out for on this machine? asking price is $5500 which seems a little high, but he has most every accessory you can get for it.

thanks in advance for comments.

nice with the independent suspension, but heavy as hell. I used to go trail riding with my buddy who had one. I was jealous of him on the extreme off camber spots on the trail, he was jealous of my honda Rubicon when we went through mud holes. If you are not going in the deep mud, i think they are pretty good...still have a few grease nipples though i think

Mud?

thanks for the input. whats special about the Honda with respect to mud that gives it an advantage....besides being lighter. Florida is either mud or sand. not much elevation changes to deal with....

yup strictly about weight, and Hondas are snorkled so incredibly well. I had mine numerous times completely submerged except for about 1 inch of seat going through creeks/mudholes etc, just stand on the seat and ride it through ! It even dipped completely under at least once or twice- no issues.

I've heard the newer Polaris' are better, but the old ones had problems sucking in water.

I've ridden my Honda up to the seat in water, and once sank it in a river. All it took was a lot of engine oil to have it going again.

Polaris' sure do have a nice ride, but I prefer the stiffer, sportier handling of a solid rear axle and lighter bike.

He must have been a slow rider. 1800 miles / 860 hours is about 2 MPH average

He must have been a slow rider. 1800 miles / 860 hours is about 2 MPH average
that sounds pretty typical for what i have seen. most guys have them to drive 400 ft from the shed to the end of the driveway, or to the house, or around the yard etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom