RT help needed - Truck Stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving the truck up the highway and started to smell burning rubber. Pulled off highway, no broken belts no leak. I think engine has major issue. Oil is fine and no leaks. Any way a seized AC compressor stall the engine? When I hit the starter it seems everything is slowly turning.

I assume major issue but trying to grasp at something.

Could the tranny have seized?

Remove or cut the a/c belt? (usually it will lockup and make the belt squeel when the clutch bearing locks up)

Could be a water pump or alternator about to seize??

Remove or cut the a/c belt? (usually it will lockup and make the belt squeel when the clutch bearing locks up)

Could be a water pump or alternator about to seize??

Seized idler bearing possible as well?

If you can't easily turn the front-most part of the A/C clutch assembly, the compressor's seized. In that case, simply remove or even cut the belt as mentioned above.

Keep carefully inspecting everything; it's actually highly unlikely that it's a major engine/tranny issue.

Keep us posted...

Tranny in 'park' shouldn't load the engine and likely doesn't smell of burning rubber...

If someone cranks while you look at the engine, you should see if the AC compressor is a) engaged and b) seized from what the drive belt does or doesn't do. Quick option is remove the AC belt.

Not sure on the 3fe, but are there any idler pulleys that may have seized?

This is all assuming the burning rubber smell is related to a belt etc.

cheers,
george.

Went back, cut the belts. Got it started. Big time knock and noise. Did get it back to the house now to decide what to do with it as it sounds lower end all the way. Will pull the pan and see. Of course this will lead to the replace or repair vs Chevy 350 questions.

Been thinking, I had recently pressure cleaned the engine. Let's say I trashed the distributor, could it cause the engine to spund like something broke on the bottom end? Could it throw it out of time that bad?

Been thinking, I had recently pressure cleaned the engine. Let's say I trashed the distributor, could it cause the engine to spund like something broke on the bottom end? Could it throw it out of time that bad?

Yes, I've accidentally scrambled plug wires on a distributor once and the engine ran but had a wicked knock.

yes, Water in a distributor can make the engine run rough, stall, not start, and possibly cause a knock..

Don't forget to check the smog pump ("air pump") on the 3FE. I assume your '92 3FE still had the smog pump. The smog pump seized on my 2F once in Mexico years ago; I eventually got it to spin to get me home, but I was hosed until I got it to spin, as that belt was essential to also spin the water pump on the 2F. When I opened it up some of the vanes in the smog pump were broken.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/639015-belt-confusion-3fe-8-1992-a.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/74072-belt-diagram.html

Did you cut all the belts? Did the engine start to squeak? Does it have oil?

Yes, cutting fairly new belt was painful to say the least. Tried to start and turned over, slowly like a weak battery. No knock, no clunk. Finally started up, limped back home. Started to knock after about 1/4 mile and progressively got worse for the next 1/2 or so to the house. I do think something broke inside but I have to try all the external things. Before turning off it was smoking, seemed to be from the valve cover gasket which I assume is old and the weak seal.

Vehicle has oil in it. Vehicle wasn't leaking fluids at all. As in the previous post I did clean the engine but it rand 15-20 miles just fine. Then without warning, no loud snap, break, clunk we smelled rubber burning, A/C lost power, the truck lost power. Started to ping and knock. Pulled off road into gas station and you know the story from there.

Didn't want to mess with it late in a Sunday. Will dive in probably on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom