Royal failure xd900i (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok mudders, I need advise...
I bought my LX450 a year and a half ago with an 1st gen XD 9000i winch on it...as it was extraordinarily noisy, I never used it, knowing it was time to pull it apart.... Yesterday I tore it down, and sure enough the gearbox was dry... I pulled all the gears cleaned, lubed and put everything back together.. I also installed four new solenoids as one of the originals was sticking.. I photoed the wiring in three stages, so all wiring was correct.. I washed the synthetic line, put everything back together. Spool in spool out, wha la! Everything worked. Sooooo, I decided to do a proper line pull,, spooled out, hooked up to a tree, and as soon as it loaded up, fried the motor.... I've read elsewhere that the motor may have been rusted, or simply on its last leg.. Should I give up and play it safe and just buy a new winch or get a new motor?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420719746.500863.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420719771.383531.jpg

A winch is something that by definition you need to work reliably, since when you need it most you are likely to be in the back country and/or alone. You could try cleaning the armature and the brushes in the motor, but if it was me I'd probably buy a new motor or a new winch just for the peace of mind.

Yeah,, I'm leaning toward new winch.. We do go out alone and often.. Even warn winches get old and die..

I have come to the conclusion that winches can't just be installed and ignored. You have to take them apart and clean them, re-lube everything occasionally. I've had to rebuild my HS9500 twice now, once it needed a new motor. It will get a full disassemble once a year from now on.

I have come to the conclusion that winches can't just be installed and ignored. You have to take them apart and clean them, re-lube everything occasionally. I've had to rebuild my HS9500 twice now, once it needed a new motor. It will get a full disassemble once a year from now on.
Oh, agreed 100%.. This poor old winch had seen neglect for years and years.. I had a junk winch on my jeep and before I even used it I tore it down, cleaned and lubed it, and checked all the wiring, and repeated the process 3 times in 5 years.. It's a shame the PO let this xd9000i deteriorate to this degree...

Before you write off that winch check DB Electrical for a motor. If everything else was gone through by you then the last piece left is the motor and a decent replacement costs far less than a new winch. I would fix it.

Did my math and recovery history, sold it and bought the Superwinch Tiger Shark... 9500sr. In the last 15 years I've only actually had to extract myself maybe 10 or 15 times.. The buyer is giving me 100 for a broken winch and very old worn out shabby looking 3/8" synthetic line.. By the time I replace the motor and the winch line, and my "tire guy" giving me $100 I'd have more than enough for a brand new unit.. Not top of the line, but a very dependable brand that gets very high marks from those in the overlanding community.. It's also nice to have a great working relationship with my tire guy.. He always gets me into new tires for less that the internet discounters, mounted, balanced and taxed.. So everyone all around ends up with a great deal.. !!

I have two XD 9000I. I have had both for over 20 years and I have done maintence on both of them many times. Fortunatly still using all of the origional parts to both winches. As already stated preventive maintence is the key to any winch if you really use it or if it gets wet internally. It really is a shame when somebody pays alot of $$$$ for something then doesn't take care of it. Glad you got a deal worked out where both of you were happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom