ROTW - cruiseruser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool project...but imho $15,000 can buy you a lot of gas. How long do you figure you will have to drive it at your new efficiency to actually start "saving" you money?

I'm thinking at this point(cost wise) you are doing it more for a labor of love. I wouldn't spend that much money to save a few bucks in gas. Once the gas savings start kicking in, then its iceing on the cake. Very sweet rig, congrats.

Thanks Biff,

I'm not trying to convince anybody to do this to save money.

For me, it's all the things I love about diesels. I reckon that the rest of the world uses them in cruisers for a good reason too.

In terms of saving mony, it's a lot like investing to me. I'm confident in a few years I'll be very happy with the financial investment. In the meantime I get a rig I love and can burn something grown in this country.

Yes Topend Yobbo, I love the bush, (both types) It does seem really hard and expensive to import the entire car to the states.

As stated the cost of the fuel isn't the only issue...Its where the fuel comes from....Two thumbs up for your efforts!! My wife and I were talking vehicles and future last night....We've got a VW golf TDI Daily driver and a 300D mercedes that I'm resurecting in hopes of replacing the Golf with it.....The'94 is the camping road tripping towing hauling (stuff/people) rig and she said "I'd like to eventually replace the cruiser with somehting diesel" We talked briefly about your efforts and I for one will be "staying tuned"

I've burned b-100 in the golf with no problems but am leery of biofuels, there affinity for water and the issues associated with the sophisticated injection pump in the TDI. The Mercedes seems to be ideally suited to SVO/WVO and that's my current target for that car.

diesel...

Sweet rig! I'm with ya on all of the diesel 'reasons'.
The idea of being able to double my fuel range is the most appealing reason for me...I try not to think about conversion cost vs. cost of gas. For me, it's all those trips I've taken down the Baja peninsula, going from Pemex station to Pemex station, watching my fuel gauge succumb to gravity-very quickly.
In my last cruiser (74 FJ55 w/ Vortec/NV4500) I installed a 50 gallon fuel tank. It helped extend my range, but is that really the right way to do it? I'd like to make my cruiser more efficient, not just carry more gas. More gas=more weight. More weight=more work for the motor. More work=lowered fuel mileage. It's a vicious circle that always ends at the gas pump.
As for the cost of reg. diesel...now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but if I'm getting 12mpg avg in my 80 series (mostly city driving here in Oakland) @ $3.00/gallon with gas- and I could avg. 24 mpg (I picked 24 because it would make the math easier) with a TD motor @$3.50 a gallon...umm..doesn't that mean that I'm paying $6.00 to go 24 miles with gas, and only $3.50 to go 24 miles with diesel? That seems like a better deal, and more importantly, more efficient. Now, if you throw biodiesel into the mix...bingo! we have a winner.

Anyway, I'm going to go the same route- toyo TD motor in an expedition style built 80. Hopefully, late next year, you'll find me out exploring the surf breaks of remote Baja, not at the Pemex pump...

Not quite sure how to say 'biodiesel' in spanish....

Nice rig cruiseruser- I'll be watching ya!

cool,

:cheers:

seth

Would importing a front clip from a diesel cruiser been cheaper? Did you think of going that route? I look forward to seeing your fuel logs if you keep them.

I think that would be the best option if you could find it. I didn't have any luck when I looked. I also didn't want to pay someone to bring it in for me. I will keep track of how the fuel consumption goes.

Very nice.

Should last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom