Roof Crossbar and Tower/Feet Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2020 GX460 with flush mounted rails, but no cross bars. I do like the simplicity of the factory cross bars, but I would prefer something a little more stout for occastionally hauling kayaks (and bars that stick out a little further than the rails), and something simple that fairly quiet on wind noise. There are numerous posts about full roof racks and roof top tents, and other full roof baskets, but I'm simply looking for something a little better than the OEM cross bars that will mount to the factory rails.

Looking at Yakima's website, it gets a little confusion. However, I'm thinking about the Yakima Sightline towers, and the Yakima Jetstream cross bars.

Does anyone have any experience with Yakima Sightline towers on the GX460 flush rails (or other towers/feet for GX460 flush rails)? Or other suggestions for simple cross bars.

Thanks

Lee
2020 GX460
2000 Landcruiser

Odd that any thread goes over a month with no replies.. but that may speak to the utter disservice Lexus did with those silly flush mount rails on the 460's and newer 570's... IMHO at least. Not a lot of aftermarket support either, for stuff that clamps to them somehow. I tried for a bit to develop something, toyed with a couple prototypes but never got to where it was super stable... and it's just so easy to pull those rails off, then bolt an actual tower to your roof... and then you have a whole universe of cross bar and rack options.

you asked for a suggestion for simple cross bars so there you go.. more functional and would cost less than the Yakima stuff also.

crossbar_thumb.jpg

Check out LFD for their crossbar options

I've got flush mounted rails and my rack is a set of Yakima Ridgeline Towers with the round bars. The wind noise is definitely there. I only have a need to use the rack maybe a handful of times a year. I pull the rack off when not in use. Once you've got the rack set up, it's very easy to remove and reinstall. I marked the top of the rails at the location where the towers are supposed to sit so I don't have to readjust everything when I put the rack back on. The trick with the rack bolts is to loosen them just enough that the rack can be removed, but not too much that all the adapter plates fall out. Eventually when I have time to take more trips I'd like to get something more permanent like a Gamavitti.

Odd that any thread goes over a month with no replies.. but that may speak to the utter disservice Lexus did with those silly flush mount rails on the 460's and newer 570's... IMHO at least. Not a lot of aftermarket support either, for stuff that clamps to them somehow. I tried for a bit to develop something, toyed with a couple prototypes but never got to where it was super stable... and it's just so easy to pull those rails off, then bolt an actual tower to your roof... and then you have a whole universe of cross bar and rack options.

you asked for a suggestion for simple cross bars so there you go.. more functional and would cost less than the Yakima stuff also.

View attachment 3542394
But... do they have tie down cleats??? :rofl:
Sorry Tim, just had to add that... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom