Rock_Wagon's M101 CDN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for one of these for a while and finally one showed up on Craigs List that looked great and was only a few miles away.

I need to get this thing ready to travel in short amount of time as we will be heading to Canyonlands in a few weeks so for now I am just focusing on getting a few things in place.

Eventually I want to put a nice lid on this but for now I have put together a removable frame to hold our roof top tent.
4456282744_8e4224a47d_b.jpg

The frame is 1" sq 11ga tubing and the receivers it fits into are 1.25" 11ga square tubing.

I got the pins through McMaster Carr
McMaster-Carr

4455503999_202f012802_b.jpg

I figure with this set up I can take the frame off and use the trailer for all the landscaping and general junk I need to tow around this summer until I make it a dedicated camping trailer.

Next step was to cut a tail gate, this was about like cutting the hole for the snorkel on my 80 series, you know if you make a mistake you are living with it from that point on.

I used the ideas from others on the forum on how to weld up the tail gate.

I wanted a smooth transition out of the bed of the trailer so I welded the bed to rear frame and then weld filled it in to make it flat.
4455498455_7c3db48868_b.jpg

I found some heavy duty grease-able hinges from Northern Tool
Buyers Steel Hinge with Grease Fitting — 6 in. | Hinges + Fasteners | Northern Tool + Equipment

4456437766_9744d582dd.jpg

I also got my latches from Northern Tool
Buyers 1/2in. Spring Latch Assembly | Hinges + Fasteners | Northern Tool + Equipment

4455513421_ea25ccd1dc.jpg

4455657095_bae85c13ab_b.jpg

So I think I have most of the welding done now, now I have gobs of grinding to clean up all my crumby welds.

The tires on this trailer where original and look like new they even still have the rubber whiskers from the mold but unfortunately they are dry and cracking in the side walls and I can't find a a spare the same size so I decided it best to replace them.

I am going with Cooper Courser Traction LTs, they are 7.5 x16 so they are about 2" taller and a little wider than the stock tires but it will keep that same look.
4455510489_c2101fb32e.jpg

Next step, grind , grind , grind, then get the tires mounted and then pack the bearings and I should be ready for its first trip out!

Sweet! Welding the bed to the trailer is a good idea, unless you want to take it off in the future!

Nice work Will!

I had given up on having my camper ready for the trip until I found out you were bringing this thing. Now it's crunch time! What are you doing for the hitch? My Lock 'n Roll should be here this week.

I think it's a great idea that the two of us will be bringing these trailers on their maiden voyage 100 miles from nowhere with our families in tow...:D

Nice work Will!

I had given up on having my camper ready for the trip until I found out you were bringing this thing. Now it's crunch time! What are you doing for the hitch? My Lock 'n Roll should be here this week.

I think it's a great idea that the two of us will be bringing these trailers on their maiden voyage 100 miles from nowhere with our families in tow...:D

You have to bring the Pop up, you are almost done!

Lock and rolls are sweet, I am sticking with pintle for now. I am told they bang around alot, that will probably drive me to another hitch later.

It simply wasn't a challenging enough adventure so it seemed appropriate to add in a couple of untested trailers to travel across what the park service calls 'the roughest road in the most remote place in the lower 48 states', seems like sound logic... :hillbilly:

Sweet! Welding the bed to the trailer is a good idea, unless you want to take it off in the future!

Thanks! On the CDN M101 the bed is welded to the frame when it was built so I am only adding to the difficulty of removing the bed in the future. I am hoping to really seal up the frame under the bed and keep it from having rust problems before it gets them so I can avoid ever having to go down that road!

Thanks! On the CDN M101 the bed is welded to the frame when it was built so I am only adding to the difficulty of removing the bed in the future. I am hoping to really seal up the frame under the bed and keep it from having rust problems before it gets them so I can avoid ever having to go down that road!

Gotcha, didn't know that. I like that a lot. Prevents dirt from getting trapped in there if you decide to fill it with mulch or dirt. Sweet!

Has anyone checked Coker Tire for the unitred military tires? Pretty sure they are repoping them from original molds. Not sure on pricing though.

Has anyone checked Coker Tire for the unitred military tires? Pretty sure they are repoping them from original molds. Not sure on pricing though.

I checked the Coker tires out and almost went that direction, but I don't know a lot about tires and if I went with Cokers I would have to use tubes. The tires on this trailer where tubeless so I was not sure if tubes would even work with them. The cost of the tires was around $90, tubes were about $15.

Bearings repacked, one side had been done recently and the other looked like the original packing...WT:censor:, who does one side and not the other at the same time? Synthetic grease and new bearings and it looks good now.
4480662444_b4cb838c93.jpg

Clunked my head on the spring hanger under the trailer while painting, man that hurts:doh:
4480014081_8a22982a1f.jpg

Painting is done, tent is attached, just need to get new tires mounted...
4480670006_921e43faab.jpg

I am not sure about the tent height above the trailer, I will give a test run next week and see if it is too tippy. It is easy to shorten it with it pinned on. I also need to figure out some type of stabilization / leveling leg for the trailer when the tent is deployed it rocks when getting in the tent.

New tires are on...
4483127534_ca2c8bbd85_b.jpg

New rubber is 7.5x16, the original tires were 6.5x16, a little bigger but they seem to fit well
4482480079_de093b7331.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom