Replacing power steering air control valve (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having issues losing power steering fluid with no apparent leak. White smoke from the exhaust suggested a bad air control valve, so I bought a replacement. I'm trying to get the old one off, it's proving difficult. I tried a basin wrench but the jaws are too wide to fit the space:
IMG_6420.jpg

There's also a fair amount of corrosion on the old one (blurry photo, too tight to get in focus):
IMG_6424.jpg

I guess my next step will be to run to the hardware store to get a narrower crows foot wrench and try that. Is it safe to use PB blaster to try to break up the corrosion and loosen the bolt, or should I avoid that? Any other tips to get the thing off?

I don’t think your getting enough leverage with that tool. Probably need to get in there with a wrench.

You should be able to get it with a crowsfoot, long extension, and a breaker bar. Definitely soak it in PB Blaster first.

If you still have problems see if you can break off the upper plastic piece and just put a socket on it.

Also you can pretty easily bypass the valve by attaching the 2 incoming vacuum lines to each other, then putting another line on the valve that loops from one nipple to the other. Just to keep from sucking in more fluid until you can get the new valve on.

I was having issues losing power steering fluid with no apparent leak. White smoke from the exhaust suggested a bad air control valve, so I bought a replacement. I'm trying to get the old one off, it's proving difficult. I tried a basin wrench but the jaws are too wide to fit the space:
View attachment 2977036

There's also a fair amount of corrosion on the old one (blurry photo, too tight to get in focus):
View attachment 2977038

I guess my next step will be to run to the hardware store to get a narrower crows foot wrench and try that. Is it safe to use PB blaster to try to break up the corrosion and loosen the bolt, or should I avoid that? Any other tips to get the thing off?
Hello, I have a couple questions about this. 1. Mine did the same thing and I installed a new valve. Can it be installed incorrectly or does it not matter which line does where? 2. Will the smoke eventually clear up or do I need to replace my coolant (I believe that is where the powersteering fluid is going). 3. Is there any major harm to the engine? What did you do after replacing the valve?
Thanks! Any help would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom