Relocated Rear Camera (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Slee rear bumper with the Jerry can holder on my 2016 LC. The holder and the mounted spare tire blocks the rear camera's view almost completely. I relocated it by mounting it to the underside of the holder. I designed and printed a camera holder and plate to seal the rear hatch opening where the camera was mounted originally. I was motivated to do this after backing into another vehicle in a parking lot last Thanksgiving.

Support and Seal.jpg

Parts information is on Printables. Search for "Toyota Land Cruiser Rear Camera Relocation Support."

I used four-conductor shielded cable (unfortunately, I only found it in white). The first step was to remove the rear camera from the hatch and cut the wire harness with the camera connector. I cut it close to the main wiring harness because the wires in the main harness was not be used and the camera connector was needed to connect to the extension cable.
Cammera connector cable.jpg

The next step was to route the cable from the Slee bumper, up through the rear support, and to the connector located behind the inside roof liner's left corner. There is an opening behind the left edge of the original bumper through which I passed the extension cable. Accessing it required removing the left taillight assembly and the left original bumper.

The original connector cable's wires were connected to the extension cable using 18-22 gauge non-insulated butt connectors, which were covered with heat-shrink tubing and wrapped with waterproof electrical tape. The wire camera wires on the roof liner connector were cut to allow relatively easy access. The cable was connected using the same method as for the other end. Make sure you use the correct connector (SK4) as there are three next to each other. You want the grey connector with the camera wires at terminals 7,8,18,19, and 20.
Wiring A.jpg

All that needed to be done at this point was to re-connect SK4, replace the trim pieces, and attach the rear hatch seal and the camera. Make sure to use gasket maker on both the seal and both sides of the mount. The goal is having both are watertight.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the display when the camera was in its original position, but the display has a clear, unobstructed view with the camera's new position.
Finished B.jpg

This modification was well worth the effort, and I hope that there are no more rear-end accidents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom