Recovery help, east glacier, MT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran into a little too much fun joy riding in my stock 02 tacoma and rendered it stuck at the top of a steep climb outside of two medicine. The idea was to reach the high point of a hill and turn around but I got stuck attempting the turn around on top. I enlisted the local tow company in browning like poor bastards who deserve to pay for getting their truck stuck ;) They claimed to have recovered trucks from the same place but after almost two weeks they still can't get it out. The truck is perched close to a steep hill making it too unstable (roll over) to pull it from below with a wench. Uphill traction seems necessary, but may be difficult due to limited use of trees as anchors. I know nothing about using stakes or land anchors. The truck is stock and has no rear hitch.

Since I feel royally screwed I am willing to invest in equipment but I am also relatively inexperienced with extrication equipment and thus wouldn't be too stoked to try it on my own. I also would be happy to compensate anyone with beer/cash. Ultimately the car is insured, but I am not interested in using my insurance to pay for the injuries of the rescuers (nor am I interested in being an EMT on my day off!). I am also eager to learn the proper use of equipment.

Shame on me for wheeling alone, nearing night, and with poor judgement. I do truly feel I have been a fool but please help me prevent the suffering of my taco from a cold slow death from winter's snow.

They call me a jong where I am from (tetongravity.com/forums/ referred me here)
:popcorn:

lessons learned, bummer, it's supposed to snow there this eve, I think.

Some suggestions:

Try finding a local 4x4 club to help. Groups are always stoked about a wilderness project. Offer dinner for the crowd if they can help you get it out.

Consider buying a portable winch; $250 to $500. Haul it in there with a buddy and give it a try.

If you leave it thru the winter, be more concerned about vandalism than anything mother nature will dish out. I'll bet if it sat six months, it would start right up.

Do post results and pics here. An interesting predicament. One that you will laugh about some time in near future.

:)

Glad to see you made it over here, Bryan. I know a guy in Thompson Falls that might be able to help. Might ...

PM me over at TGR and I'll pass along your info. Otherwise, if I was closer, I'd try to help. You're a long way away.

Thanks all for your reply. I am going up there later this week to work with Brush towing out of Kalispell to see if they can't help me out. The tow guys out of Browning told me I was SOL and recommended rolling it down the hill :crybaby:

Montana Sig... What is your TGR user name?

Thanks all for your reply. I am going up there later this week to work with Brush towing out of Kalispell to see if they can't help me out. The tow guys out of Browning told me I was SOL and recommended rolling it down the hill :crybaby:

Montana Sig... What is your TGR user name?

Bobcat Sig.

Also, run a google search for Flathead area 4x4 clubs. There has to be some, even if it's an ATV club. Billings has two, so I have to believe that there is at least someone up there who can help.

Any update on this? As others have said, I'd be more concerned with vandalism to the truck than whether it can sit all winter under the snow and still work next July when that part of the state thaws out. Hopefully some folks from the west side of the park can help you get it out.

I am heading up Saturday to try and get it out. Gonna try to pull off some trees or plant stakes and use a portable winch to pull it straight and drive it out. Will post pictures :doh:

didn't anyone read the trails article a few months ago about the 80 series left in the snow all winter?

didn't anyone read the trails article a few months ago about the 80 series left in the snow all winter?

I read it. Great article.

Mission Status: Failure

I'll make this into a sad sad TR. I went up early today to meet a fellow who was gonna use his portable winch and ATV to help yank me out. It was a nice rainy drive till I hit Maria's pass which had a s***load more snow than I was expecting. East Glacier had probably about 6 inches of snow and as we headed up the Two Medicine Road it turned into more than a foot in some places. The road was closed but thankfully someone had moved the concrete barrier so we could get around to the base of the road I was on. 6 inches turned into 2 feet in some places making me sick to my stomach.

2012-10-27%2012.31.58.jpg

Here is the view at the base of the road, follow the red arrow and you'll find my stuck pig. Keep in mind there was no snow when I initially drove it.

We took the 4 wheeler up with all the gear which barely made it. It required winching to get it up the final 50 feet or so.

2012-10-27%2012.46.12.jpg

This is the view just below the truck at the steepest part of the climb. The idea was to winch it from behind. Those aspens on the right were on a nice flat spot not shown that was big enough to get the rig around. Not exactly substantial anchor points but the truck did seem a lot less unstable then I first remember so we went for pulling on them.

2012-10-27%2012.46.17.jpg

Here is the view of the drive down, steep as s*** but doable after the initial drop. It didn't help that we rolled the ATV on the way up :nonono2:

2012-10-27%2013.14.42.jpg

This pic gives you an idea of how badly it was high sided. Front wheels were pretty much useless. The tow guys who had been working on it before seemed to get it even more high sided.

We pulled on it from behind for a while, barely moved it. The winch wasn't the burliest but we did rig it up with a pulley for more power. Tree's held fine. Used an elastic snatch strap pulling with the ATV. Still hardly nothing. Tried digging it out, fxxxed up the shovels beyond usage, we hit solid rock. Tried with chains on the back but still nadda (hard to get them rigged up without moving the truck). Also had some of those little ramps and still nothing.

All in all, hard days work with no success. Simply way too much snow and not enough pulling power. Frankly the drive down was scaring the s*** out of me as well. I am out of ideas and support... thus this may be the winter home for the tacoma. Fxxxing stupidest thing I have ever done. 2 feet of snow really isn't helping things either. Let the ridicule continue! :nonono2: Seriously though, its like loosing a pet, I really love that truck. Her name is Budgie, keep her in your prayers for a safe winter.

I would check around for a set of mud terrain 33's with wheels and throw them on and see if it helps any. Maybe someone would let you borrow a set ( or just 2 for the rear). I would do everything I could to get it out before old man winter hits. Try and air down the tires to get better traction. Just my .02 though. Maybe 2-3 more 4 wheelers too.

nice view from there.

I still have to believe that there is an area 4x4 club with some guys with proper rigs that would be willing to help. Keep looking.

Maybe with warmer temps this coming week, some snow will melt and you'll have some better conditions. Stay after it.

Oh, and don't use an elastic snatch strap ...

This is turning into an epic story. Keep after it, guy!

We're all pulling for you!

:)

Well all the snow melted out and with some help from pirate4x4.com she is free! It was easy work for them and interesting to say the least to check out their rigs. See the thread over there for pictures. So happy to get her back! Thank again to all you 4x4 gearheads, couldn't have done it without you guys (gals too I am sure). Maybe when I get some cash the Tacoma will be better prepared next time.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-north-central/1100058-recovery-help-east-glacier-mt-2.html

Great to hear Bryan. Good write up and lesson learned.

Kudos to the pirates and their toyotas.

I was just thinking yesterday what it would take to put a rescue mission form Calgary together.

Glad to hear of this successful outcome!

:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom