recovery equipment non winch?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello taking a trip to friends farm in northern florida; niether of us have a winch (me lx470 1 fj and 1 jeep). My friend has tracotrs etc if we really get stuck but we wanted to try to extract ourselves if we became stuck. Has anyone used any type of recovery equipement which works well? Has anyone used a hand winch with any good results? All of us have tow straps etc and we wont be to far from outside help. Thanks

Hilift

Hilift as a hand jack or as a lifting tool? If you guys don't have the proper armor (Lifting points) a Hilift is pretty much a large, heavy slow hand winch, that at best pulls you about 40" at a time. Not ideal.

You guys have straps and tractors available. I'd say your more than covered. I'd start putting together a good recovery kit like the one available from Master Pull or other reputable companies, learn the differences between a kinetic/jerk/tug strap and a tow strap.

I've found that once a stuck occurs, the best thing to do is slow down and take the time to solve the problem. It's all part of the process.

here is a thread i had on the topic.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/411056-winchless-recovery-kit-any-suggestions.html

i would say a set of maxtrax and a wyeth scott power puller can go a long way. below is what i carry.

1- 15,000lb 25 ft Snatch Strap
2- 10,000lb 25 ft Snatch Strap
1- 5,500lb 20 ft Tow Rope with hooks
1- 100 ft 5/8th inch warn winch cable with hooks (Extension Purposes for Hand winching)
1- 8,000lb 3 hook Hand Winch
1- 12,000lb Wyeth Scott Cable Puller/ Hand Winch
1- 60 inch High Lift Jack
1- Shovel with Gloves
2- ¾ inch Bow Shackles
1- 15 feet of chain
1- Set Max Trax

Here is what we do overseas.

Get a large tire with some tread on it, flotation size. Cut the sidewalls off. You will be left with just the tread in a circle. Cut the tread in half and you have just created a traction device. You can cut the tread in half again to make it easier to store and stack. It's a mess to carry once used, but can be very effective.

I've used this for mud and sand.

Hilift is indeed not an ideal handwinch, however, that capability, unwieldy as it may be, together with the rest of the stuff a Hilift is mostly intended for, makes it a very versatile tool. If I am stuck and had nothing else I would be grateful to have a hilift as a handwinch, 40" not withstanding. Especially since a few inches is often all you'll need to back up from a stuck spot. I can't see myself carrying a Wyeth affair in addition to a Hilift frankly, too big. I can winch with a Hilift but I can't change a tire very easily with a hand puller. Of course if you have nothing to put the Hilift on (as in a full plastic truck with no tow hitch) the Hilift kinda loses its appeal.

on stuck 6x6s we actually chained long logs acrossed the truck to the wheels .you cant go far until you have to rechain but sometimes a foot or 2 is enough,this method works well on tanks also.might work with spoke rims also.

from someone who has winched with a hi lift and the wyeth scott puller, there is no comparison. The power puller is stronger, and allows you to pull over 10-15 feet with one set. I agree that if you are out west and just need a foot or 2 to get over a boulder or out of a high center situation, then the high lift is fine as a winch. Being from the south east, it takes a VERY long time to get out a sticky mud hole with a high lift when multiple feet of very strong pulling is needed. Also, without all the accompanying equipment, in many situations a 40 in pull can leave you right back where you started if you are on an incline. There is a reason i keep both in my rig. I have had a high lift for years, and dont get me wrong it is a great tool for recovery. I have had my power puller for a few months, and wish i had had it for years. If you need jack and a strong hand winch for muddy pulls, i think both are a must in the tool box.

For the OP, Yotato is on the right track, for a day in the woods, take a good shovel and something for traction. I like the idea of a cut down truck tire and will probably see about getting one but for the quick trip an old rug, a bale of straw or an axe to cut some branches will do.

With multiple vehicles, I'd add a tow or snatch strap just be sure you know the difference and how to use them.

Here is what we do overseas.

Get a large tire with some tread on it, flotation size. Cut the sidewalls off. You will be left with just the tread in a circle. Cut the tread in half and you have just created a traction device. You can cut the tread in half again to make it easier to store and stack. It's a mess to carry once used, but can be very effective.

I've used this for mud and sand.

can you elaborate on this "cut in half" bit please.

one can also use a spare tire as an anchor, as most people know. Less to carry along.

can you elaborate on this "cut in half" bit please.

one can also use a spare tire as an anchor, as most people know. Less to carry along.

I hope my crude diagram explains this. Once you have this made, you would use it like sand tracks. You can cut the tread again so that it's easier to store or have a matching pair. The wider the tire, the better the track.

Cut tires like this can also be used as a poor mans speed bump.

TreadTracks-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom