rear upper and lower control arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding my thanks to those in this thread for the instructions and tips. Just installed Metal Tech uppers and lowers following the instructions/advice here. Took much longer than 8 bolts should, but seems to have gone reasonably well. Fingers crossed that the test drive in the morning goes equally well since I'm planning to head out for a quick weekend camping trip, then off to Death Valley in a week or so.

I just ordered upper and lower today. Too good a deal to pass up.

I am a bit concerned about road vibration coming thru the poly bushing and the johnny joint. However, once I get the rear end loaded up with my gear, bumper etc., the stability/flex will probably out weigh the vibes..

I'm also planning to order before the end of the month. My uppers have torn boots so replacing those, and adding the lowers for extra strength/protection.

Was curious, how was the ride after completing the repair?

There was an immediately noticeable, positive difference after adding both upper and lower links, both on and off road.

The truck had a decent amount of torque steer before that didn't go away 100%, but seems to be at least 85% gone and only shows up now if I accelerate aggressively (to the extent possible on a 100). On the road, the truck feels really solid, stable. It doesn't feel stiffer or pass any vibration I can feel, just more stable/solid. With a bunch of weight up top, this is important. Off road, articulation feels great, much more controlled. When rolling through big dips where each wheel is going through separately, the rear seems to track straight with less side to side movement transferred to the truck than before. I wasn't after more articulation necessarily, so didn't do any before and after measurements.

Overall, I'm impressed. My OEM links looked OK, not bent or otherwise obviously damaged, with only a bit of visible wear in the bushings (115K miles on the OEM links). The Metal Tech links appear significantly more stout and so far seem to offer a pretty good improvement for the money.

Perro - thanks for the thoughts. On the lowers, are they adjustable in any way that you have to set or align them when installing? Anything I need to be on the lookout for. This will probably be evident once I spend a few more minutes reading the website or actually have the product in front of me! TIA.

Perro - thanks for the thoughts. On the lowers, are they adjustable in any way that you have to set or align them when installing? Anything I need to be on the lookout for. This will probably be evident once I spend a few more minutes reading the website or actually have the product in front of me! TIA.

They are fully adjustable, which was important to me to get the pinion angle perfect.

Once I get them on, I'll check side to side alignment and get Slee's adjustable panhard bar if necessary

As @Kofoed said, they are fully adjustable. I haven't yet taken advantage of that. I removed and replaced mine one at a time, essentially "adjusting" the Metal Techs to the same length as the OEMs. That's far easier to do in your driveway in the dark, so for now, that's what I did.

Not sure what the correct procedure is, but I put the adjustable ends in place first (toward the front of the truck), then twisted/adjusted until the rear lined up and could be coerced into place and the bolt slid through the bushing. As others posted above, strategically jacking one side or another up a bit helps. After that, I tightened everything up and went out for a test drive.

Where is the best place to find replacement bushings for the rear control arms?

Oem or aftermarket (so long as the aftermarket are quality)

Where is the best place to find replacement bushings for the rear control arms?

Oem or aftermarket (so long as the aftermarket are quality)

Can the bushings be replaced? I asked the dealer,and they dont have replacement bushings. Would be great to just replace the bushings to save some cash. Mine has over 200K, so I am sure it should be replaced.

edit: I did some search around, found this place that seems to have these replacement bushings. Not sure it has the best price though. Energy Suspension Parts: 100 Series, toyota landcruiser series 100 1998.

Last edited:
Can the bushings be replaced? I asked the dealer,and they dont have replacement bushings. Would be great to just replace the bushings to save some cash. Mine has over 200K, so I am sure it should be replaced.

edit: I did some search around, found this place that seems to have these replacement bushings. Not sure it has the best price though. Energy Suspension Parts: 100 Series, toyota landcruiser series 100 1998.

I checked out the link, did you go with the rear bushings by Whitline? For the bushings, it lists front control arm bushings and rear trail arm bushings? Is the trail arm just the control arm reference for the rears?

I checked out the link, did you go with the rear bushings by Whitline? For the bushings, it lists front control arm bushings and rear trail arm bushings? Is the trail arm just the control arm reference for the rears?

I havent replaced mine. Its on my list but have other things that I need to take care first. I have replaced the shocks, endlinks, sway bar bushings, and the LC rides pretty good right now. I should take one of the arms off and see if the bushings is worn out.

Chris

I haven't replaced mine. Its on my list but have other things that I need to take care first. I have replaced the shocks, endlinks, sway bar bushings, and the LC rides pretty good right now. I should take one of the arms off and see if the bushings is worn out.

Chris

Ok thx. I went ahead and ordered the rear, upper and lower, Trailing Arm Bushings today from IRP www.importrp.com

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - Upper Position - $88.66
Part Number: W61699A
Manufacturer: Whiteline

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - Lower Position - $84.43
Part Number: W61700A

Manufacturer: Whiteline

I have a 2000 that just hit $240K. What are the symptoms of needing to replace control arms?

I picked up the 99' as project to fix up for the wife. Previous owner sold it after getting rear ended. I can't say specifically, as I never drove it when it was not jenky and that was only driving it about 60 miles straight to body shop and it was very wobbly but tires were bad, shocks were bad, etc, etc... Mechanic advised that the front lower ball joints needed to be replaced and the rear upper and lower bushings were starting to deteriorate but did not have to be done right now but were on their way to being an issue. So, I would say inspect the bushings for deterioration. Here is a good thread... Bushing Overhaul, Chapter 1

I have a 2000 that just hit $240K. What are the symptoms of needing to replace control arms?

If someone is paying $240K for a 2000 Land Cruiser, the control arms better be good! :)

To be correct he said he hit $240k, so I am assuming he hit a Brinks truck and now has some suspension issues as a result... ;)

It sounded like some sort of auction to me :)

I was probably subliminally thinking about how much replacing those parts was going to cost me

Well to make you feel better about the $, you would probably save $800-$1k plus in parts by going with aftermarket bushings since Toyota does not sell the bushings separately, you would have to buy the entire control arm assembly, 4 for the rear, 2 upper and 2 lower, to go OEM to replace the bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom