Rear Leaf questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 60 rear springs on my 40. I moved the solid hanger forward to keep my axle in the same spot. the bushings are wider but you can get bushings from spector with a thin shoulder to fit the 40 hanger width. The pin diameter on the 60 is larger, so that needs to be dealt with.

sic. how far forward did u move that hanger. i'm planning on a so series hanger to go with it.

how'd you get the bolts off, just chop them?

how's it drive on road?

how'd you get tools in to tighten the nut on the bolts where you rejoint the hanger to the chassis. on mine looks like it's fully boxed and a pain in the a$$ to get into

spring and shakles fit

Lets see if anyone can help me this is for a fj40 78 rear springs and shackles
I removed the old rotten shackles & hangers fabricated new ones (hangers) longer than the original and are going to be mounted closer to the front than the original ones so I can lay back the shakles without flattening the springs too much
my dilemma as you can see from the picture is the position of the spring relative to the frame, It's totally off to the the inside on both sides.
I know the frame is straight as I measured it before taking the shackles off
so I am hoping this is just normal being that there is no shackles yet and they will get back into place one the shackles are in .
This is more evident as the spring have a load than when they are free but still there even without any load..

?????? help
PS the front shackles and hanger are still mounted
spring.JPG

i'm not qualified or anything, but mine did htat too... don't know why

bad_religion_au said:
i'm not qualified or anything, but mine did htat too... don't know why

How did you fix that ? I measured and compare the measurement and the springs are off about 1 " on each side ?!?!

TX

that is off but not horrible , solution , make sure bushings at fixed end are good , loosen spring plates , install shackles and hangers , tighten spring plates , you will find everything lines up fine with spring plates loose. Also , keep in mind that when the soa was done that a small ( .25") off at perches will net like 1.5" off at spring end so the perches may just be a hair off , no biggie.

cancel that , I thought it was soa , you wanna check the centering hole in the spring perches that it is not wobbled out all to hell letting the springs move a little.

peesalot said:
cancel that , I thought it was soa , you wanna check the centering hole in the spring perches that it is not wobbled out all to hell letting the springs move a little.
Thanks alot that was my next step unless someone told me to throw away the springs :)\
now the hard part is to get those ubolt loose I tried torching them, soaked them but nothing happend
I might have to just cut them off

thanks

peesalot said:
Indeed removing the plates and ubolts gave me enough play to straighten the springs however I ordered the shackles so I am using a mock up to test it
so far so good thank a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom