Rear Hatch Light Switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I sort of feel like an idiot asking this, but where the hell is the switch that turns on the rear hatch light when you open the cargo door on a 62?? Mines acting a little off and on, and I can't seem to locate the actual plunger switch (if there is one) that makes the connection. Thanks!

I don't think there is a door actuated switch for the rear cargo lamp. I don't have one in my 60, or I discombobulated it so long ago I don't remember ...

But if you look at the cargo light switch that is actually on the lamp itself, it only has two settings: on or off.

It seems to me that if there was a door actuated option for that light, it would have a third (door) position for the swtch... just like the cabin dome light has.

But I could be wrong....

yes there is. rear light in our 86 and 90, lights are 3 positions, to the left(standing at rear looking in) is the door, think middle is off, right on

it switches thru the latching mechanism(somehow) it may be inside the guts but I think there are contacts made between the upper and lower parts when closed.

funny, works on my 62&62 but my 100 its never worked. the 1965 45LV has 2 exposed prong type things that make contact in the same way, but its used to power the license plate light I think

Last edited:
Ah hah! The latch! I hadn't thought of that. Yes, on my '88 62 there is a 3-way switch, on-off-door. Guess I'll have to pull the panel and see what's what. Thanks!

There is a write-up that someone did to clean the switch that is inside the latch. From what I remember to actually get to it is an absolute bitch. I need to do the same to mine but just haven't had time.

I've been in there before, to replace the latch mechanism, so I'm not too scared of it, but I'll make sure to have a good six pack in the fridge before I start..

it might be easier to add a door style switch, the original owner of mine had one on the rear latch for his vintage alarm system(which also included a keyed lock on the DS fender)(and joy of joy he added one to each door, next to OEM)

maybe they had it right back in 1965(45LV).....still works 50 years latter
(for licencee plate light, not cargo)

I've been in there before, to replace the latch mechanism, so I'm not too scared of it, but I'll make sure to have a good six pack in the fridge before I start..

Hey IBFJ62, I have an '88 FJ62 with the same problem. My hatch light works in the on position, turns off at center, and becomes intermittent on the 3rd position.
I know this is an old thread but did you ever sort out your issue? Do I start at the latch? I appreciate any tips you might have.

Thanks!

Found it. For anyone else out there looking, here are some photos.
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3099.JPG

Thread revival! Mine was totally a wd-40 shot into the hatch release button. Get that connection clean and you're probably good to go..

Did you ever figure out how this works?
My light works when I open the hatch but then turns off about 75% of the way up.
Then it turns back on when I lower the hatch to about 1/4 from the top.

I have the cover off the latching mechanism but I can't figure out EXACTLY what triggers the light to turn on.

Is there a physical connection somewhere in there that you found?

Hey KG, funny that you ask. I was so stoked that I found the wire that I assumed everything would work out fine. I was a fool to presume as much!
My light flickers on and off, in no particular range or location. Sprayed everything with WD40 but the magic didn't work this time. I don't know exactly how the grounding mechanism works inside the latch but I think I'm going to have to tear it apart again to figure it out.
So, the long answer is no, I have not resolved the issue to my liking.
If I get back into it and discover the real solution I will update on the site.

Good luck!

88IslandCruiser- thx for the reply.
I'll keep looking into mine as well and post back if/when I can figure out how the light actually turns on (what triggers it).

If anyone else knows how this works, your help is appreciated.

Thx

I fixed my rear hatch light issue - mostly.

When I opened the rear hatch, the light would turn on but as the hatch continued to travel up past 3/4 to the top, the light would go out.

Upon closer inspection, the light would not actually go out. It would just dim to the point that I thought it was off.

Even if I grounded the connector right at the light switch, the light would dim significantly as the hatch moved beyond 3/4 open.

I took the switch out and cleaned up as best I could and sprayed all contact points with electronic contact cleaner and reinstalled but that didn't help.

Went to wall mart and got a Sylvania LED (6418) and installed (polarity sensitive) and now I have light with the hatch fully open.

However, the issue is still there because if I open the hatch and let it travel very slowly until fully open, the light gets a little dimmer when I get to about 3/4 open.

So the problem is still there but I don't notice it because the LED works at much lower wattage.

So I think the actual switch itself is "flexing" ever so slightly when the hatch gets near fully open and that causes the solder points on the switch to "open" ever so slightly and not allow full current to flow.

That's my theory anyway.

Was wondering about this too. Mine flickers as I raise and is dim on the door position, but normal brightness on the "on" position. It still works though, but one day I'm gonna fix it. Probably just needs a "Round Tuit". Anybody got a part number for that?

Same here. I just replaced the cargo light assembly after many years where the switch was frozen in the off position. Was excited to have a new light but notice that the light flickers off at the 3/4 spot. Really not a big deal, but strange that we are all having the same issue. interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the source of the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom