Rear Drive Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a favor to ask. My friend has a 2006, crew cab, TRD, short bed, six speed Toyota. The previous owner put some kind of funky lift on the rig. His rear drive shaft is rubbing on some brackets and we have no idea what it should be like.

If anyone has a similar rig, can you possibly take a few pictures of how the rear drive shaft looks and post them? I would really appreciate it.

Can he get pictures for you to post? Then a diagnosis may be more easily obtained.

Pics

Here are a couple of pics. The truck is unloaded and parked on a flat surface, in his driveway. I was expecting the drive shaft to be at a steeper angle, especially with a lift. Also, the bracket the shaft is going through obviously has something missing since there are bolt holes. What is that for? Is this even the right drive shaft? I'm a land cruiser guy and these new fangled rigs have me confused. TIA.
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

I'm thinking..try to determine what brand name of a lift was installed and see what the properly intentioned solution was for the driveshaft.
If someone has done a custom shade tree lift then...:frown:... yikes just thinking about the load on the rear pinion and xfer case when that thing is rubbing on the old support bracket...:eek:

This is from my friend.

"I need to first confirm if my truck should or not have a two piece driveline. The Tacoma reg cab has a 1 piece, but extra cab 2 piece, 4 door auto, long bed 2 piece, short bed auto 2 piece, I have read that the 6 speed trannys are longer and on the short bed a one piece was used and the carrier bearing boss is just there."

So, I'm kinda back to the original question. Does anyone have one of these trucks so they can look / snap a pic?

That is not a stock driveline for a tacoma. I'm 90% sure of that.
I don't think the taco got the big tube drivelines.

No way, that should be a 2 piece or 3 joint rear drive shaft with the carrier bearing right there. Wander what the heck they put in there? Did you check the FSM for pictures?

He may have been trying to cure some driveline vibrations due to the lift. A fairly common issue with the 2005+ Tacomas with the 2 piece rear drive shaft. Tom Woods has a standard one-piece replacement part for the late model Tacomas, so it may have come from that shop.

Below is an earlier model Tacoma, but its the same idea.

truck_nov_2006_06.JPG

Thanks everyone. Happened to have a look under a stock rig and indeed there is a two-piece shaft.

While lubing the u-joints and drive line in my '02 double cab 4x4 tacoma, I noticed that I could move the drive shaft up and down and side to side a little in the center support bearing. I don't think that is normal, is it? And now, when I come to a stop with the windows down, I can hear a slight squeal like rubber rubbing on something. Should it be changed?
Thanks,
Paul

it's a rubber bushing holding that bearing. It's going to move some.
As for the aqueel.... is it maybe the brakes?

Definately not the brakes....I can hear it driving block to block. The FSM calls for a special tool to remove the flange from the driveshaft. Anyone do this job themselves?

I'll lube the drive shaft and see if that helps. Are you supposed to be able to lube the center support bearing? The hole in the bottom of the carrier is blocked by rubber; maybe that is just a drain.

BTW I replaced the front rotors with a set of Brembos in June. Never heard any noise from them. Thanks Rix and Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom