Rear Crossmember (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I would like to fabricate and replace the rear crossmember on this FJ45. It is a little beat up but not corroded. Not full understanding how the frame rivets work and if I were to grind them off…what would be the process in riveting the new crossmember back on? Can it be bolted or is riveting the best way?

thanks in advance

I had a local shop make new rear crossmember and supports for my SWB 45. I was able to reuse the center crossmember brace. I bolted this all back together using either M8 or M10 button head hex drive bolts.
IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG

So I am guessing it’s ok to bolt it back in place… decades ago I read something regarding flex…. But, I am not rock crawling after this amount of work. Thanks guys

Frame will still flex bolted or riveted. “Controlled” flex comes about from open c-channel frame with fastened (riveted or bolted) inner box channel to provide lateral instability support to the frame’s c-channel flanges. There are mud members who have hot riveted their frames back together, a search will turn up those threads.

@Lifelong40Fan your center cross arm fix suggestion is a good one in any case 👍.

I missed that you were asking about the rear crossmember. I thought it was the center one.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
So I am believing that the process for attachment is still the same …that works for me

I love that hot rivet video…aside from the head rounding hammer head and the rivets…I would certainly try this.

does anyone think the Grade 8 3/8” carriage bolts is an ok compromise?

As I dig deeper into the 45…the list grows RIDICULOUSLY…. So unless I go find one rebuilt and ready to daily drive… I have to systematically go thru every step …looking for a referral for the frame internals…

fluid film….any particular recommendations?.. I have a special power washer tip that shoots backwards for some cleaning

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom