1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAD collecting

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Eternal, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Eternal

Eternal

So getting ready for the big overhaul. dropping the 4.3 in the 70 40. Now my rad is leakin a bit but it is has been around for a while and I am thinkin that it would be good to change that as well. What would anyone suggest as a replacement? New or used? What is the minimum size and maximum size I can go with? I think mine is a 4 core is it worth rebuilding? I would like it if there was little to no fab needed to get it in but cost is important. I am kinda running low on funds but I don't want to get it all together and have problems(like I'm gonna have any problems)with the cooling. I don't think the 4.3 can take as much neglect as my 2f can(dang I am bad to that thing).

Eternal- great vehicles are built, not bought.

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Part of the trade off with the 4.3L/5.7L swaps for the Toyota stuff is the reliability issues with the GM motors. In exchange you get lighter weight, more power, cheap and available parts, and the ability to have a spare motor sitting in the garage for next to nothing.
    You can recore your 4 row and have fine cooling in a 4.3.

3. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    I had my radiator recored to 5 about 5-6 years ago, had cooled 3 different V8's with no problems. IIRC, it was around $200 to get it done.

4. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

Try Performance Radiator (http://www.performanceradiator.com). They may have one close to you or get it online (I think shipping is free). Just put one in a '73 FJ40, perfect fit. Got the 3 row, but they also have a 4 row.

Brandon