Questions about Yellowstone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Big Sky People,

I'm going to be driving across the US, and visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton on the way. I made a post recently in the Mudship section, you can read about it here.

I have a few questions about Yellowstone, as well as driving through Montana.

It seems that the best route for me to take would have me entering Yellowstone National Park from the west entrance, and since the lodges inside the park itself are closed for the winter, I've been looking at some cheap motels near the west entrance such as this one. For about $90/night though, the price still seems a little steep. I would like to camp in the park itself, or even sleep in the back of the Land Cruiser (if that's allowed).

I've been looking at the camping section for Yellowstone in the National Park Service website for the past few days, but I hope those of you who read this and/or have some camping experience can help me plan my trip and decide where to camp, the best things to see in the park, and how to avoid being eaten by bears. I don't really know what exactly I want to see at Yellowstone, but I definitely want to hike the trails at Grand Teton so one of my nights should be near there. I'm willing to spend 2-3 nights in the park before I continue on towards Missouri.

Thanks for any info! :p

What route are you coming into montana, welcome, hope you enjoy, montana has some beautifull areas, I dont know a whole lot about the park but my brother knows a little, I will ask him about it, as far as bears, every one has a different opinion, just be sure to keep you food put away, air tight, be carefull, protection is advised but at your descretion.

Hey ya Toyota rookie. I'm getting a little woosie here tonight after getting firewood all day, but just wanted to log in to you. I can get you some good pointers from here as I am just south of Bozeman (MT) about 70 miles north of the park. You would be in passing distance of me heading from the Interstate to West. I'll post you more information tomorrow if you like, or if you are in the area soon, stop of by. D

should be a good trip, but weather can change your plans quickly, as in shut some roads down if there is too much snow. that can come at any time.
if coming from the east, if it is still open go thru Red Lodge over the beartooth highway, then thru the NE entrance
How long will you be around?

Landroamer: here's a link to how Google Maps is telling me to get from Vancouver to West Yellowstone. That's more or less the path I'll take unless someone can tell me a quicker or better way to get to the park. And I'll be sure to keep my food airtight from the bears! ;)

Dannymontani: I had thought of stopping in Bozeman on my way into the park.... I sent you a PM. Can't wait to hear your pointers!

3_puppies: I think I can spend 2-3 nights in Yellowstone and/or Grand Teton before I continue on towards NY. I hope snow doesn't close roads down on me! I'll be coming from Seattle.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!

Some of the roads are closed already, Beartoot pass is closed, the other roads will close in a few weeks, there is only 2 snack shops open now and only one hotel

That route looks good, when are you coming through, you will be coming through missoula, there are a hanfull of us mudders here if you get a chance to say hi, you better go fairly soon, we have already had snow here around in the mountains, I had four inches on the road 2 weeks ago about 30 miles out of town on hwy 200. The parks really close down soon.

Yellowstone is grizzly country. Be careful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom