Question! Factory wheels or other? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have '77 FJ40 and looking for factory wheels. I know the factory wheels are 15", which means I will need new tires too. Does anyone have a used set of five (5)? If I put 15" wheels on any recommendations for tires would be helpful.

I know everyone has their preference, but what your thoughts. Currently have 16" wheels.

Thanks,

Dan

Is this rig stock? Post more info on your rig as far as any lift, gears, and drivetrain as well as intended uses.

I purchased this 1977 FJ40 2 weeks ago. It is not all stock. There is some aftermarket parts, but I'm trying to update most of that back to stock if possible. It has a standard 4 speed transmission and 4 wheel drive. Not sure about the lift. Here are a couple of pictures. I intend to use for fishing trips and trail fun with my boys.

IMG_5547_1.jpg

IMG_5542 small.jpg

IMG_5547_1.jpg

IMG_5542 small.jpg

From the photos it doesn't appear you have a lift. You might post a pic of the shackles though. Also, you can measure the bumpstop to axle distance on level ground and if there is an inch to 2 probably stockish. What size tires are currently on there?

I like the stock look with hubcaps. You'll need to get disc rims, the earlier, drum ones have rivets that won't clear the caliper.
they are still available new from Toyota, except they are black now.
For anything I do, a good all terrain tire is fine.
I don't think I have a full set of disc rims, that I want to sell.
Paul

If you have a factory owners manual you could even see what size the OEM was. I'm guessing it was something like a 7.00X15 or H78-15. Paul would probably know better. You could even put pizza cutter tires on it if you really want it to look retro.

The bigger the tire the bigger the rubber overdrive. The factory rim is skinny at 5.5 inches wide for the hubcap version. So, something like a 30X9.50 or a 33x9.50 (some do 33X10.50) is about as big as you want to go.

Thanks for the info guys! I will try to post more pics soon. I think they are 16" wheels right now. I was hoping to find a set of slightly used rims, but I may just order through Toyota. I have ordered the original owners manual. Also looking for a windsheild washer kit, stock stereo, and new front and back seatbelts. Puttin new water pump in Thursday.

Thanks,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom