Project buildup- Bugly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It may be easiest for you to stay in the lot. You will have access to the camp but most of us will be down in the lot getting breakfast and getting ready to hit the trails.

what time?

Alright bitches- Bugly is ready to go...

I finalized the air lines to the rear ARB.

Finalized the winch wiring. Spooled up the cable.

Moved the drivers seat forward a bit so I can reach the dash better.

Moved the rear axle back 9".

Re-did the rear upper shock mounts.

Driveshaft is ready to pick up at Action Machine.

Just need to final weld the anti-wrap bar, install it, install the driveshaft, re-install the skidplate and load it up on the carrier

See you douchebags on Saturday.

So Bugly did pretty well down at the Badlands this last weekend (August 29, 2009)- but he suffered some damage.

1. The traction bar broke (apparently my welding wasn't sufficient)
2. Rear axle wrapped badly and rear springs have an 'S' shape
3. Inverted the front shackles which allowed front springs to relax a bunch, which
4. Allows drag link to rest against pitman arm, which
5. Made lower sector shaft seal on steering box leak.

That, along with the fact that.

6. I can't see out the back with the spare tire mounted in the current location
7. Not much space for tools

So, I dropped Bugly off this afternoon at Barneys Off Road for some upgrades.

Barney and I talked for a bit to figure out what the plan is and since I plumbed his entire house, installed a new furnace and ductwork and only charged him for some of the big items- he kind of owes me.

THE PLAN!!!

3 link the front with 4" lift TJ coils
Rebuild the rear part of the cage (cutting off the frame) to allow for the spare to sit flat behind the seats.
4 link the rear with 4" lift TJ coils.
Relocate fuel cell and increase tool storage area.
Fix steering geometry.

I don't know if it'll be ready for Toys 4 Tots- but I hope to have it back by then for another outing to test the improvements.

Luke

I found TJ coils to be way too springy. Stockers run about 175 lb/in. Stock FJ55 leafs are about 350 lb/in. I went with Exploder coils at 300 lb/in and got a lot more stability.

Be sure to capture the coils top and bottom. It makes a huge difference.

I found TJ coils to be way too springy. Stockers run about 175 lb/in. Stock FJ55 leafs are about 350 lb/in. I went with Exploder coils at 300 lb/in and got a lot more stability.

Be sure to capture the coils top and bottom. It makes a huge difference.

But you have a bunch more weight on your truck than I do- with all the glass and bodywork.

Took delivery of some really pretty wheels yesterday.

Raceline Monsters 17 x 9.5, 4.5 backspacing, 8 on 6.5
IMG00129-20091001-1030.jpg

Are those the desert monsters, or the monster diamonds?

Bout time that rig had beadlocks!!!

Monster Diamonds. The Desert Monsters are forged and list for $670/ea.:eek::eek:

I got these for less than $300/ea. With free shipping with a King of the Hammers DVD coupon.

Monster Diamonds. The Desert Monsters are forged and list for $670/ea.:eek::eek:

I got these for less than $300/ea. With free shipping with a King of the Hammers DVD coupon.

Yeah, thats why I asked. :grinpimp:

Nice wheels!

Whatcha doin wit dem hummer wheels? I don't have a use but they do look good with out those center caps.

Selling them to a guy from Ft Wayne that needs them for a light weight rock racer. He's paying enough to partially offset the purchase of the beadlocks.

I'm gonna meet him in Busco tomorrow afternoon- if you're gonna be that way for some reason.

Magic Wand at 4:30.

Luke

Just as fast as it was before I got the 40. Slower than dirt.

I distinctly remember someone wondering out loud if when I got the 40- would the 45 make even less progress. What was his name, Gumly? Gunby? I can't for the life of me remember who said that.

Well, dammit, whatever his name was, he was right. It's in hibernation right now. I'm starting to get re-enthused with working on it and will probably do some through the winter.

Stopped at Barneys today to see what kind of progress he has made on the suspension. The front leaves are gone, the front shock towers are gone, the forward most body mounts are gone. He has the lower links mocked up and I'm making a couple of plates for the coil mounts. Looks to be ready for Toys for Tots.
IMG00131-20091021-1357.jpg
IMG00132-20091021-1358.jpg
IMG00133-20091021-1403.jpg

Stopped in at Barneys again last night. The front suspension is just about done. I need to get some 16" travel shocks so the front shock hoops can be fabricated. We played around a little and it looks like this thing is going to have CRAZY articulation.

Plans for the back:

Move the axle back another foot (it was already back about 9" from stock. Frame stops just behind seat mounts. Back of cage getting re-made to allow for spare tire sitting horizontally- for better visibility out the back. May require different fuel cell. 16" travel shocks again.

I'll get some pictures when I'm there again.

Still plan to have it ready for Toys for Tots. In fact, Barney wants to come along with his full size Bronco.

More pictures- todays update.
IMG00134-20091026-1325.jpg
IMG00135-20091026-1326.jpg
IMG00138-20091026-1338.jpg

IMG00141-20091026-1346.jpg
IMG00140-20091026-1346.jpg
IMG00138-20091026-1338.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom