polishing a TuRD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have only been pulled over once and it was probably eight years ago. A state trooper got me for rear bumper height. It think 31 or 33" is legal rear bumper height... I was close, but too tall. But that was for SUV's. Pickups have a much higher allowance (I was told).

The bent and dimpled shaft is still in the rear. (if you know what I mean) I called a local place to get a quote and got a "i can't tell you if I have to machine the yokes to fit the tube I have so no idea until it comes apart." quote. To which I said, "suck a bag of dicks" and put the drive shaft back in the truck.

I found a yoke with a cut tube on it in my stash. Maybe I'll take it to that guy and get a real quote and maybe I'll find somebody else.

Hey i found this good map online of the badlands, looks like they renamed one of the trails....
badlands_map-sm.jpg

I like the use of "and."

"Don't take any guff from these fxxxing swine"

So I'm going to be ordering my steering arms in the next couple weeks and need some opinions on tre's. I'm flip flopping between 1ton Chevy and fj80. I'm leaning towards 1ton chevy because you can find them anywhere if you need a spare. Fj 80 stuff not so much. Opinions?

I run 80 stuff with hydro assist. They have never broke, but they do wear out and get sloppy every few years. There are supposed to be stronger versions of the 80 tre (555), but aquireing these seem to be crap shoot. I would like to think the 1 ton stuff is stronger and cheaper and stays tight longer... But I am not sure. Gm stuff is bigger, but the metallurgy is usually junk.

So I'm going to be ordering my steering arms in the next couple weeks and need some opinions on tre's. I'm flip flopping between 1ton Chevy and fj80. I'm leaning towards 1ton chevy because you can find them anywhere if you need a spare. Fj 80 stuff not so much. Opinions?

While the strength may be similar, fj80 TRE's are as easy if not easier to source at a parts store. You gotta remember, these were made much later than the GM stuff, and are still in production.

One other factor to consider. What does everyone you wheel with run? I carry 3 spares myself, just saying.

John: good stuff. When I compare parts house parts I put them on the same crap level regardless of mfr.

Joe: my experience of getting parts for my Tacoma at parts places especially in the middle of nowhere has been s***ty. I can only imagine the latte mobile 80 would be worse, that was my logic with the gm s***. However that's a good point about the spares.

Last edited:
Yeah good point, I have a bunch of spare 80 ends.

Napa has a lifetime warranty on their tre's and they usually have the "555" version.

I run the GM parts That is what was on there from Todd so when I replaced all the steering rods I went back with GM

I ran GM 1 tons for a long time. I don't know if Mark replaced them when he put that set up on his truck. My experience is that you can get them at a Wall Mart in Salem MO where they need to ask who makes a Land Cruiser.

That was my thinking with the GM stuff. If I'm in the middle of bumb fxxx US, GM stuff is everywhere and if they don't have it in a store i can probibly find one in a junkyard or even someones yard if i looked hard enough. The 80's a bit more rare just going off my 4month quest to find one in a junkyard to snag an axle off of.

I would not doubt it, most people don't know what a landcruiser is besides its toyotas "jeep". When looking for metric brake-line fittings at the Bolingbrook auto zone i got the following when i asked why they don't carry them: "its because they don't want you working on your own import car and you have to take it to the dealer". He was laughing and agreeing with my sarcastic comment of "man i cant wait for the day that the niche automaker Toyota gets popular here in the states so i can find parts for them at local stores."

Auto zone is where I got my "555" 80 ends. Had them on the shelf.
Just sayin.

Anyone have the steering shaft from an IFS truck laying around? Looking for the slip joint, you can play with my slip joint in return.

I'll check tomorrow whilst I'm out in the shop.
I has parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom