P0430 2003 Landcruiser Solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Posting my successful process of clearing my P0430 code on my 2003 LC.

awhile back I would get the CE, VSC lights that would stay on for a bit then go away. About 6months ago they came on and stayed on. When I got my oil changed I had my mechanic diagnose it and it was in fact the bank 2 cat along with the upstream 02 censor. I didn't feel like spending the money on fixing it at the time so i drove around for 6 months with my lights on. I changed the 02 censor about a month ago thinking their was an outside chance that would clear the light's but it only cleared the o2 censer lite (p0051 i think?)

I was watching some youtube videos a few weeks back about ways to clean your cat which I'm sure a lot of you have probably seen. I did not really want to try the scotty method of dumping a bunch of lacquer thinner in the gas tank, though i have heard that can work. I stumbled across one of "eric the car guy's" videos where he tried a bunch of stuff without success. I was skimming through the comments and and a guy (bless his heart) commented.

"I know this video is old but I thought I would share some insight. I am the operations supervisor for my company's Cogeneration power facility and we have a large natural gas generator with a huge catalytic converter. In order to meet EPA regulations, the CAT must be cleaned regularly. The cleaning method that we use on site that was provided by the CAT manufacturer is
1. Thorough rinse with water (DI or RO is preferred but not always practical, especially at home).
2. Sodium Hydroxide 10% bath with recirculation across the substrate for 4 hours.
3. thorough rinse with water. Step 4. Acetic Acid 10% (vinegar) bath with recirculation across the substrate for 4 hours.
5. Thorough rise.
6. Air dry or use 15 psi compressed air.
The Sodium Hydroxide removes oils/greases and the vinegar removes the ash build up. You were on the right track with the sodium hydroxide but should have taken it a step further.
There also comes a time when the catalyst is fully depleted and needs to be replace. Hope this is informative. I enjoyed watching the video."

So I thought what the hell, this guy seems to know what he's talking about. And i like drinking beer and trying to fix stuff so I gave it a shot.
Here is what i used and my process.

1. removed the cat
2. rinsed it out for about 5 minutes with the hose
3. mixed this 16 oz 100% lye drain cleaner (apparently lye is sodium hydroxide) with 1 gallon of warm water. (carful it can bubble up and dont put it in a sealed container and definitely dont shake it in a sealed container)
IMG_4417.PNG

4. plugged one end of the cat tube, filled up the cat with about 3 quarts of the lye solution then plugged the other end.
5. placed the cat on this long bucket and about every 15-20 minutes for about 4 hours I would come role it around and agitated it.
IMG_4419.PNG

6. rinse with hose for 5 minutes
7. dilute this 30% vinegar (bought at home depot) to a 10% vinegar solution
IMG_4420.PNG

7. same process as the lye solution. plug one end, pour in vinegar, plug other end, agitate every 15 minutes for 4 hours.
8. rinse with hose for 5 minutes
9. hooked up my shop vac on blower (made sure it was clean and had a clean filter) to dry it out.
10. installed cat.

After completing this i was eager to take the cruiser for a spin. within 8 miles of driving my lights turned of on their own. I have now put close to 350 miles on it with no light or pending codes showing up. it may be placebo but i also feel like she runs better.

anyway, i thought i would share since i know how frustrating and costly these cats can be. Hopefully this helps someone down the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom