Outboard moter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Father in law has an outboard that he uses for his inflatable dingy. I thik around 5 horse mercury. It starts pretty easily but bogs down and dies after 10 -15 seconds. Sounds like its being flooded or starved for fuel. How hard wpould this likely be to fix. He wants it gone, I don't have alot of time to throw at it but heck if its a simple fix what the heck. Any thoughts?
Rob M Concord, MA

Drain the carb bowl, if it's been sitting there will be s*** in it. Check the tank, fuel lines and primer bulb too. If you can keep it runnoing by pumping up the bulb then there's yer issue.

If it is old like I think it is, they have a diaphragm type fuel pump. The rubber dries and cracks not allowing fuel to pump. Check that. I believe the pump is arm actuated and has a split case that you can open up to get to the diaphragm.

Primer bulb at ext. fuel tank is hard even after it stalls...its like it has a clogged fuel filter or something. When you start it you can rev it and then it just bogs and dies. I cleaned a mesh fuel strainer (it looked clean even before I cleaned it) any other thoughts on fuel delivery. Next time I get to his house I'll poke at it some more. He wants a lighter smaller motor so isn't really keen on this one even if it did run properly.

If i was put away without running it until it was out of gas (no more fuel in the carb) then the carb is likely varnished up and some little passage is clogged or partially clogged. Small 2 stokes do it all the time. The easiest most sure fix is a new carb but if that's out then it'll need a good soaking and cleaning out with compressed air through all of it's little hiding places.

Old outboards can make your life miserable.

I'd replace the fuel pump first if you are thinking of replacing the entire carb. The fuel pumps usually go first (or so says my mechanic friend who works on outboards).

AndrewT

Most of the small outboards are gravity fed from integral tanks. Gravity feed = no fuel pump.

Or maybe it has a pump. Then yeah.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom