Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes sir, I see that,the other has 24v by the time it reaches the positive terminal.

image.png
Ok how does this look now?

View attachment 1279894 Ok how does this look now?
I like, other than the 'carrying handle' that looks like it is shorting each battery :lol:.
Not sure how this unbalanced load on your series battery cell will affect battery/alternator life? Maybe physically swap your batteries couple times a year?

The best solution and what I would do, IMO based on what I currently know, would be to add that third battery (more like my last drawing posted), leave 24V as 24V as it was designed to be. Battery tech is not my specialty so I am a bit out on a limb here but this is more 'fool proof'.
The 12 V battery then be trickle charged via solar or small 12V battery charger powered through your 24V or converted 12V power when truck is running.
Have to check amp draws, but should be able to use a little guy and get a suitable charge setup for it.
1268 12V 6800mAh Rechargeable Li-polymer Battery - Blue + Black (12V)
PowerStar PS12-7-18 7Ah 7AMP Home Security Alarm System Battery 12V - Walmart.com

But either way should be functional.

Yes, that's clear as lights. And I'll use a 24v relay to switch power to converter by means of ignition ( cig lighter) that switches on my relay. I think this is it.again thank you

I just saw your last post.the constant draws hours be very minimal. Like 3 miliamps. I do switch batteries from side to side every year. Seems to be fine

And I see what you mean about the sketch. Hahaha improperly depicted battery circuit. I'm a moron . Lol

I also like the extra battery solution. I actually may just do that for the constant. Yep

As of this evening I have wired everything and it all works as expected. I have yet to dismantle the manifold and flip it to see about turbo fitting. Also I have no pics yet of anything as my phone took a swim again while kayaking on Sunday. I have at this point everything I need to start on the turbo install except for the intake piping. I also need to remove the lifter cover to weld a bung for the oil return line. The waste gate actuator needs to be extended or repositioned as well. That wiring that is shown in the last diagram took me about 10 hours to do. What a time consuming affair that was. Pics to follow .

Ok, so the wiring is not the tidiest job I have done but it's ok, works well, and the gauges which will eventually be connected to boost/vacuum and egt. are kind of neat as well. I still have to move the oil pressure gauge as well.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I changed the oil today and i checked the tranny and tcase. Tcase was half a quart empty and tranny was overfilled. Luckily i purchased one of those equilizing hoses from a forum member and i solved that problem for now. I pushed the truck out of the garage and tried to start it. Sure enough it went clank and that was it. I was wondering what the problem was till i tried push starting it and the engine wouldnt turn. I then realized that the starter might have gotten stuck so i hammered it a bit and rocked the truck back and forth till it finally let loose. It then got stuck again when i tried starting it. Went and done the same procedure to free up the starter and i was finally able to start it. My question is can these 24v starters be rebuilt by just anyone, or am i to purchase a new one.?

Last edited:
been messing with my turbo setup in CAD so that I may order some silicone bends and some pipe for the intake.
TURBO 1.jpg
TURBO 2.jpg

Ok so I just received my welder today, thank God. Also I may have gotten a little carried away with cadd. I will finally be able to do my own welding. Geez, waiting on some welds really puts a damper on a project.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

One more update . I thought I'd have this whistling down the road at full speed by now. I cannot believe how long it took me to get this far with this turbo install. Anywho, mockup session, manifold had been flipped, return bung is welded and the cover back on...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom